Nervous Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H@FAU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating in the fall of 2001 with a BS in biology and plan to take the DAT in the spring of 2001. I am very strong in my decision to apply to dental school and have completely dedicated my life to getting in....researching as much as possible and maintaining a good GPA. I am, however, really nervous about the prospects of applying and then not getting accepted. Do you have any advice for a young pup?
Also UIC is my first choice (I plan to remain a resident of Chicago) and was wondering if anyone had heard about the competiveness of their program?
Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

All you can do is try your best to prepare well
smile.gif
You still have plenty of time to prepare, so there's no need for you to worry (esp since you seem to have a good GPA). My advice would be (you've probably heard all of this before):
1. Study study study for the DAT.
2. Observe many dentists and different practices.
3. Get to know some of your professors for good recommendation letters.
3. Start writing your personal statement.
4. It would also be good if you can get some pseudo dental experience like some summer programs they have at certain dental schools.
5. Get you application in early (like beginning of June).
6. It would be helpful to take a variety of bio classes for the DAT.

Oh and you should probably apply to safety schools, just in case.

Relax, smile
smile.gif
You have lots of time to prepare! (Believe me, that's a big advantage).

I know you want to stay in Chicago and go to VIC but, may I suggest The Medical College of Virginia's Dental School, which is quite awesome from what I hear and have experienced! It could be one of your back up choices!:0)Don't be soooo nervous. From what it sounds you have worked hard so, it will pay off just continue to do what you are supposed to and calm down! Everthing will work out for the best!
smile.gif