Netter/QU vs. NYMC

Started by robojobo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

robojobo

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Frank Netter SOM / Quinnipiac
Pros
  • New facilities
  • P/F with a small student body that seems to really love the school/faculty
  • Good location, about 1.5 hours from my house
  • New curriculum
  • Eligible for up to 25k (2 yr) scholarship (no guantee I will get it) but its a nice thought

Cons
  • Really the major con for me is that the school is new. I saw the match list which was pretty impressive for a 1st year list (I understand judging a school based off match list is pointless). Just kind of worried about going to a new, smaller school that many people have never heard of which has only had one match
  • Limited research
  • Hospital not on site
  • Step 1 during 3rd year? is this a con?

NYMC:

Pros
  • Lives on campus, close knit community
  • Many nearby clinical sites
  • 1 hour from house
  • Close to NYC
  • Lots of clubs/interest groups
Cons
  • Not P/F (although does not seem to be competitive at all)
  • Fairly negative reviews about Touro
  • Large class size
Summary: I really could see myself going to either school and being very happy. Major concern is attending a newer medical school that does not have much name recognition, anytime I mention Netter to attendings or residents they have never heard of it. Both schools are around the same price and close enough to my house that neither of those are a major factor. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
 
Do you have a specialty you are interested in? From what I remember Netter emphasizes primary care. (got II but didn't attend). I had a great impression at NYMC (accepted) and their match list is strong for many specialties.