Networking your way in to PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One thing I have learned significantly from being an non-traditional, career changing individual is how important networking seems to be in order to help you succeed in a career. It seems these days its hard to find a job unless you know someone where you want to work.

Assuming you have taken the correct pre-reqs, met the minimum GPAs, and observation hours, has anyone networked through the faculty of their desired school to help them get admission into the school of thier dreams? It is not feasible or realistic for you to do this at all the schools you apply, but if there is one school YOU must go to, has anyone reached out to the faculty for advice, guidance, met with them to get your application recongized?

With DPT becoming some competitive, anything to stand out is always a plus. I know i cannot go back and retake every single class I got a C in undergrad to raise my GPA to a 4.0 like some applicants. I did not know i wanted to do DPT when I got my undergrad and did my first career. Life happened and my wants and desires did a 180.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It never hurts to meet some staff and faculty to put a name/application to a face. Will it guarantee or significantly raise your chances of being accepted? Maybe, maybe not. Some schools really like that, some schools will still look at the application you turned it to decide admissions regardless. I wouldn't necessarily count on it to get you into that school or give you that much of an edge, but it definitely can't hurt. It shows dedication.

I believe that networking, especially with the programs that you absolutely love, is important. Call up the Dean of Admissions and meet with him/her. Let them know your interest in the program and ask relevant questions. Go to Open Houses and speak with the faculty and the students (you never know. Maybe the faculty asks the current students who they like). Keep in contact with the proper faculty members when it comes to deadlines, interview process, etc. If you're blessed enough to get an interview, make sure you speak to those you spoke to previously and show your appreciation for the opportunity.

It may not factor into you getting accepted into the program, but it can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a career changer I find myself in a similar situation-- I've taken the past year to complete some pre-reqs and replace a few C's--- but like you said you can't retake everything!

One of the schools that I visited offered applicants the opportunity to come sit in on a class-- it may be worth asking the admissions office or a professor if you could come visit for a day.

Another thing I have thought of was doing some observation hours at the schools clinic-- I am assuming most schools have a PT clinic where students can work and where some of the staff works.

If you have good grades, GRE, hours, etc. and network I believe that it adds a huge plus to the application. As long as you meet the minimum requirements and then really help them put a name to your face, I think is excellent. Most schools want students who are a good fit and adding that human element is invaluable!