NEU Premed Postbac vs. Informal Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moumou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, there's not a lot of information on this program, but I was recently accepted to NEU's premed postbac for this Fall. I've heard a few things about it, but no solid rundown of what it's like. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to go here instead of doing an informal postbac at my local UC (Davis).

I'm just worried about how medical schools will view this program, or, if its cost effective overall to move to Boston (don't mind, though) to do this program, or if I could accomplish the same thing just taking extension 'open campus' science classes through Davis.

If anyone has any insight, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To me it seems like UC Davis would be the better option. Since Northeastern's on the opposite side of the country and the program has no linkages I don't really see the benefit in going to it/ paying to live in boston. Also the cost at UC Davis extension would be way less... from their site:

How much does it cost to complete a certificate program?

Program costs vary depending on the number of units required and the subject area. Specialized studies programs typically cost $2,000-4,000, while certificate programs are approximately $4,000-8,000.

I don't know if you'd be in a certificate program or not but the cost is still significantly lower than the 17+k it'd cost to do Northeastern. Also if you're going to go to Boston why not do Harvard Extension's Health Careers Program? It's way cheaper and is a better known program.

Just my two cents... hope everything works out! :D

Thanks for your input. By linkages though, what do you mean? I've heard NEU is linked with Tufts for a lot of clinical work and volunteering. If you mean to medical school, neither would Davis, not even their postbac program. There are very few postbacs with links to med school.

Also, at Davis, I wouldn't be doing a certificate program, I'd be doing open campus classes- basically picking and choosing the same classes I'd take in a postbac, just with no structure. I'd be taking undergraduate science classes as a non-major student.

And I'm not applying to anymore schools- it's just between NEU and UCD extension...I've heard horrible things about Harvard Extension anyway!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I've heard really great things about HES, I guess it depends on what people are looking for.

Yeah I meant linkages to med schools. I couldn't find anything on NEU's website about a linkage with Tufts but maybe they do. And yeah I know that most programs don't have linkages and that UC Davis wouldn't which is my point, if you aren't spending an extra 10k on a shot to link at a well-established program then why spend it at all? If there's something that you really like about Northeastern then I'd say go for it but if it isn't the obvious choice then it just seems like you could be wasting your money.

Would you be able to get sponsored by Northeastern or UC Davis? I guess that could be another factor to look at.

Moumou, can you please expand on these "horrible things you heard about HES"? Please, please do.

Moumou, can you please expand on these "horrible things you heard about HES"? Please, please do.

Haha in the last 5 minutes I think you've become my favorite.

Thank you for your relevant input on this topic.
Well its true.

You are apparently the only who has heard negative things, so i think its relevant to point out that you are mistaken.

Well its true.

You are apparently the only who has heard negative things, so i think its relevant to point out that you are mistaken.

I heard it from my physician- he said that the premed part of it didn't have a great foundation compared to the rest of the college and extension classes. That, and I have a few friends there that didn't like their experience there because they felt like they didn't get the guidance and attention that premeds here. Okay, are we done being butthurt over one person's opinion, and ready to actually discuss this topic? If I'm not even attending or affiliated with the program, and you've heard good things about it, why does one person's opinion matter? Honestly, just further confirms everyone's tightassed insecurity on this forum.

I came here for advice, and instead I got some easily flustered people who insist on getting hot and bothered over ONE person's opinion- why do you care about one person's opinion of you've heard all good? Wouldn't the simple solution be to just ignore me?

Last edited: