Neuology in Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kr371

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the program at Univ. of Miami is like? Is it respected? Is it painful? Any thoughts?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

from what i have heard it is the best program in florida with a big department and all fellowships. It is also more reputed than other programs in the south east states of LA, AR, MS, AL, GA, SC, TN with the exception of Emory.

How does this program stack up to NYC programs or other programs in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure, but certainly many NYC programs are top class and some are more famous than U Miami. But I think U Miami would be a prominent name in that area and would give you the best possible opportunities in the southeast.

I am not sure, but certainly many NYC programs are top class and some are more famous than U Miami. But I think U Miami would be a prominent name in that area and would give you the best possible opportunities in the southeast.

any more info about Miami's program

I think it is a fantastic program. With eminent faculty incl Ralph Sacco, Myron Ginsberg, Ramsey, former chair was Walter Bradley. Residents get fellowships of their choice, from what I know, people went to Mayo Clinic, Columbia, etc

As far as clinical experience, very few programs in the country will top Miami. The residents work hard and the clinics are busy but I think that's what a good residency should be all about anyway. Faculty is top notch and with Sacco as new chair one should expect an influx of Columbia faculty following him. There is plenty access to fellowships with awesome placement.

Also, do not forget South Beach !!! It certainly beats most cities in the country perhaps with the exception of New York, Boston and Chicago...

As far as clinical experience, very few programs in the country will top Miami. The residents work hard and the clinics are busy but I think that's what a good residency should be all about anyway. Faculty is top notch and with Sacco as new chair one should expect an influx of Columbia faculty following him. There is plenty access to fellowships with awesome placement.

Also, do not forget South Beach !!! It certainly beats most cities in the country perhaps with the exception of New York, Boston and Chicago...
thanks.

Just finished my interviews. U. Miami was the best all around. The residents seem really happy. Dr. Sacco has brought with him many new faculty from Columbia and other high-power placess, and the new program director (from Harvard) is extremely enthusiastic and brings a lot of energy to the program.

before my interviews, i was planning on ranking the NY programs first (cornell/sinai/einstein... i didnt like the feel of columbia), then boston (BIDMC, Tufts) and then Emory, but after my weekend in miami (i stayed right on Ocean Dr. in south beach) i am sold.

hope this helps.