Neural Science Courses: Upper Division?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I would really appreciate your suggestion on a situation; specifically, several years ago, I took intro to bio and did not perform well (2 C+'s) due to extenuating circumstances. To make up for this, I took several upper division courses and performed well (genetics, Biochem, etc: A's).

Based on my current schedule, I now have the option of either retaking Bio I or taking Cell and Molecular Neuroscience; would the cell and molecular neuro course count as an upper division to medical schools even though its offered through the neuroscience dept at my school? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to retake my pre-req bio grades just to have my bases covered before I apply or will my high upper division grades be good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're going for DO, don't retake. MD's just average the two grades, and it's not much. Retake a C or lower (that's what I heard). Just take a higher level course. I think Bio 1 is simply introduction to biology. So choose the second one (cell neuroscience).

If you've done well in upper level classes, you're wasting your time to go back to the basics. I imagine adcoms would find it odd that you'd retake if you've shown you're capable of getting good grades in bio courses since Intro Bio.

If that Cell and Molecular Neurosciences class is upper division in the department that offers it, it should be considered upper division BCPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
My vote is to take neuroscience back to its roots.

a-clockwork-orange-1971.jpg

MDs average grades. So if you want to improve that C, you have to get an A, and even then your grade in the class as far as MD programs are concerned was a B. Hence why you shouldn't retake classes that you got a C or higher in (unless you're trying to get into DO programs, in which case knock yourself out).

You'd be better off taking another upper division that's related to the ones you did poorly in. If you do well, you've shown that the previous grades weren't showing your real potential.