Upper Division Biology Elective P/F, Withdraw, or Gamble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LordDerpulus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm looking for advice on where to proceed with this. I'm currently in my 4th year taking a microbiology lab class as an upper-division biology elective. I've already completed my one year of biology and a separate biology lab in addition to all the other recommended stuff (genetics, physio, biochem) and done very well in all of them. Unfortunately, things have gone sour for this class. My optimistic prediction is a B, with a B- being likely and a C+ being plausible. My current sGPA and cGPA are both 3.97.

In the worst-case scenario, If I do end up getting a C+, it would drop my sGPA to 3.91. My deadline to decide to commit to P/F, a letter grade, or a W is on 11/13 at 11:59 PM.

I've never used a W or P/F before (except for classes that had mandatory P/F: a first-year seminar and an Ochem TA position)

Any thoughts or recommendations on what I should do? How do medical schools even look at P grades in a non pre-req science class anyway? I've heard all sorts of crazy rumors like some schools recalculating GPA to count a P as a C- but that sounds like people being neurotic.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be very realistic with yourself, how likely is that C? If avoiding the C means getting high A grades for the rest of the term, something that hasn't happened so far in this class.. it won't be realistic to assume that will happen without some serious change in the way you are approaching the course.
That said, if it's a non-prereq and a class you don't need for your major, I would pass/fail. If a B was the most probable option I might be swayed to keep it but with the risk of a C? Yea I'd pass/fail. Wouldn't withdraw though because you are well above the pass threshold and can still complete the course.
Will it read as gpa protection? Yes. Should you still attempt to protect you GPA? I would.

Also you might find this thread helpful: GPA hit vs. Pass/Fail vs. W

Last edited:
A few things:

1) The difference between a 3.97 and 3.91 GPA is... imperceptible. Both are excellent GPAs.

2) Given your track record, a P would definitely look like GPA protection, and might run the risk of communicating to admissions committees that you aren't good at handling failure. How will you react the first time you struggle with a class significantly in medical school?

3) Assume someone reading a transcript would assume a P is the lowest grade possible for that. They won't re-calculate your GPA, but the assumption is it's bad enough you didn't want to get a letter grade assigned to it.

Personally, I don't think any of the above will be a major issue given that you've been successful in a range of upper level science classes, and have a strong GPA. If this were going to be a more significant hit to your GPA, then GPA protection might be more warranted- but that's not going to be the case here.

Similarly, you've shown you can succeed, so there isn't a worry that this is masking some inability to do well in challenging courses. The concerns about perfectionism / inability to deal well with failure are going to be the most significant.

I would base the decision based on the rest of your semester load. Will going P/F for this enable you to complete the semester with less stress / focus more on other classes? Is the grade due to a lack of time, a lack of comprehension, or something else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation my last semester. I had a 3.98 and chose P/F an upper level biology course to avoiding getting a B-/C. In retrospect, I should’ve kept that grade option since I performed better than I expected. However, the decision to do P/F hasn’t prevented me from getting multiple IIs to top schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard all sorts of crazy rumors like some schools recalculating GPA to count a P as a C- but that sounds like people being neurotic.
Is that what other admissions committees do? Gotta make a note of that one... :) Do some of my faculty think that way??? Hmm... back in the paper application days, I would see them take their bright yellow highlighters to mark all the W's and the red markers to note all the D's and F's. But everything's electronic now... it wasn't every faculty member of course.

Focus on getting that B. I don't know if you have any policies on a limit on number of course withdrawals you have to take, but it might catch some peoples' attention. if you get an open-file interview, the W becomes fair game for inquiring interviewers. Hope you give a good explanation that you were trying to save your GPA 0.06 points...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's okay, just keep it. A single B/B- will drop the GPA by a little but is seen as better than taking a P or W