JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2001
Visit site
Status
Hi. I'm currently interested in Neurology and possibly combining Neurology and Psychiatry. How competitive are neurology programs? What are some of the top programs in neurology? How common is the combo? Thanks.

GopherBrain

MARK IT ZERO!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
WFMC
Status
Attending Physician
The answer to your first question is: not very. Unless you want to go to the top programs, you have little to worry about. However, given your credentials (and the fact that you felt it necessary to list them in your sig) I am guessing that you are shooting for the best of the best. In that case, as in any specialty, it is very hard to get a top spot. Search this forum to see how people have ranked the various programs in the past.

In terms of the combo, it is fairly uncommon. Many people consider it, but few choose the option. This is because, in the end, you are going to have to choose. There aren't many neuro/psych jobs out there. There are neuro jobs with a psych emphasis, and psych jobs with a neuro emphasis, no neuro/psych jobs. Sorry, that is just the way it is. If you really feel the need to do the combo, go to NYU.

Best of luck.

Gopher

sacrament

somewhere east
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2001
this space left intentionally sexy
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
GopherBrain said:
In terms of the combo, it is fairly uncommon. Many people consider it, but few choose the option. This is because, in the end, you are going to have to choose. There aren't many neuro/psych jobs out there. There are neuro jobs with a psych emphasis, and psych jobs with a neuro emphasis, no neuro/psych jobs. Sorry, that is just the way it is. If you really feel the need to do the combo, go to NYU.

Best of luck.

Gopher
I think one decent reason to do a combined neuro/psych residency is recognition that whether you get a "neuro" job or a "psych" job, many of your patients will be neuropsych patients. The division between the two fields is increasingly artificial.
Having said that, the notion of doing a cominbed program sort of scares me, primarily because after about two days of outpatient psychiatry I'd probably be homicidal.

GopherBrain

MARK IT ZERO!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
WFMC
Status
Attending Physician
sacrament said:
(Of course, no matter what field you go into, most of your patients will be psych patients to some degree.)
That was part of my point. It is silly to think that neurologists can't deal with most psych patients (just as psychiatrists can handle basic neuro). In the end, you just don't need both.

GopherBrain

MARK IT ZERO!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
WFMC
Status
Attending Physician
sacrament said:
Sure, in most cases, you don't. But I can definitely see the appeal in trying to be a "whole brain" doctor, one-stop-shopping for all your neuropsych needs.
I agree. I can see the appeal. I nearly went the neuro/psych route myself. I just think that, once you are done, you won't actually be neuro/psych. You will have to choose to be one, with an emphasis in the other. So just choose now, choose an appropriate fellowship, and make your life easier.