neuro and psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

detroitdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am so confused and could really use some help. I am stuck in deciding between psychiatry and neurology. I have thought about doing psych/neuro but am really not interested in a 6 year residency program. I love neuro and i understand that many neurologists treat psych patients. Does any one have any advice?
PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

detroitdoc said:
Hello All,
I am so confused and could really use some help. I am stuck in deciding between psychiatry and neurology. I have thought about doing psych/neuro but am really not interested in a 6 year residency program. I love neuro and i understand that many neurologists treat psych patients. Does any one have any advice?
PLEASE HELP!

Depending on your interests you could do either a psych or neuro resideny followed by a fellowship in neuropsych or behavioral neurology (which accepts residents from either field). These fellowships are usually a year long, making the total time invested 5 years versus the 6 you'd have to do in a combined residency.

Pathways to Neuropsych

Fellowship Programs

If you're interested in research fellowships, here's a good site.

Teufelhunden said:

Depending on your interests you could do either a psych or neuro resideny followed by a fellowship in neuropsych or behavioral neurology (which accepts residents from either field). These fellowships are usually a year long, making the total time invested 5 years versus the 6 you'd have to do in a combined residency.

Pathways to Neuropsych

Fellowship Programs

If you're interested in research fellowships, here's a good site.

Thanks. I will check that link out. I appreciate it.