Neuro as an FMG?

Started by billydoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

billydoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Guys!
Great forum, and lots of interesting info. The question is in the title,but a quick glance of my background first. I've been an RN x 15 years, with lots of clinical and administrative exp, I'm also a licensed acupuncturist in private practice for the last four yrs.Two years ago I was accepted to ROSS Univ in the Carib. Went down there by myself (without my family). I admit, I was grossly unprepared (out of school for over 15 yrs) + the Island is a hellhole. It was obvious that the best way would be to withdraw from school, or get some "F"s on my transcript. So I did get out. Went back to "regular" life, but I'm not happy. The thought of not achieving, a "broken promise" if you will, is haunting me. O'K...enough drama. My question is : how realistic is it to get neuro (or PMR) as an FMG? Another possible option for me would be to go D.O, which I really like. I think my bacground in healthcare is quite solid, but I'd need more or less acceptable MCAT score (never took MCAT). So what do you think guys? Is it worth a trouble to try go D.O (in Fall'07 the best case scenario), or go to St. Matthews in May'06. It's on Grand Cayman, so no comparison to Dominica (ROSS), and I only have to be there for one year (3 semesters) before comming back to the States.
TIA
Your input is greately appreciated 🙂
 
I think that you have to decide which one is a better fit for you, DO or Carib MD because they both have stereotypes and prejudices associated with them. I think a lot of it depends on what region you want to end up in because different parts of the US are more accepting than others.

I forsee neuro as becoming more competitive in the future due to all the vascular interventions being developed and such but currently it isn't that competitive.

See my PM for a more longwinded answer. 😀
 
penguins said:
I think that you have to decide which one is a better fit for you, DO or Carib MD because they both have stereotypes and prejudices associated with them. I think a lot of it depends on what region you want to end up in because different parts of the US are more accepting than others.

I forsee neuro as becoming more competitive in the future due to all the vascular interventions being developed and such but currently it isn't that competitive.

See my PM for a more longwinded answer. 😀
Thanks Penguins! Just read it. I'll send you pm 🙂