Neuro as an FMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
Great forum, and lots of interesting info. The question is in the title,but a quick glance of my background first. I've been an RN x 15 years, with lots of clinical and administrative exp, I'm also a licensed acupuncturist in private practice for the last four yrs.Two years ago I was accepted to ROSS Univ in the Carib. Went down there by myself (without my family). I admit, I was grossly unprepared (out of school for over 15 yrs) + the Island is a hellhole. It was obvious that the best way would be to withdraw from school, or get some "F"s on my transcript. So I did get out. Went back to "regular" life, but I'm not happy. The thought of not achieving, a "broken promise" if you will, is haunting me. O'K...enough drama. My question is : how realistic is it to get neuro (or PMR) as an FMG? Another possible option for me would be to go D.O, which I really like. I think my bacground in healthcare is quite solid, but I'd need more or less acceptable MCAT score (never took MCAT). So what do you think guys? Is it worth a trouble to try go D.O (in Fall'07 the best case scenario), or go to St. Matthews in May'06. It's on Grand Cayman, so no comparison to Dominica (ROSS), and I only have to be there for one year (3 semesters) before comming back to the States.
TIA
Your input is greately appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you have to decide which one is a better fit for you, DO or Carib MD because they both have stereotypes and prejudices associated with them. I think a lot of it depends on what region you want to end up in because different parts of the US are more accepting than others.

I forsee neuro as becoming more competitive in the future due to all the vascular interventions being developed and such but currently it isn't that competitive.

See my PM for a more longwinded answer. :D

penguins said:
I think that you have to decide which one is a better fit for you, DO or Carib MD because they both have stereotypes and prejudices associated with them. I think a lot of it depends on what region you want to end up in because different parts of the US are more accepting than others.

I forsee neuro as becoming more competitive in the future due to all the vascular interventions being developed and such but currently it isn't that competitive.

See my PM for a more longwinded answer. :D
Thanks Penguins! Just read it. I'll send you pm :)