Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Neuro Books

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by micdoc6513, May 14, 2007.

1. micdoc6513

micdoc6513 Almost done with school!

Resident [Any Field]
    Can anyone advise me on some good neuro books for my fourth year elective rotations? I am really interested in neurology and want to be prepared for my elective/audition rotations. I really appreciate your help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ChildNeuro

ChildNeuro Junior Member

For a basic neurology book I would recommend the Lange Clinical Neurology book, this should get you through a neurology rotation just fine. You could also check out Neurology Secrets and the Massachusettes General Hospital Guide to Neurology. What specific neurology elective are you planning on taking? I might be able to give more specific advice based on the specific rotation.

4. Methyldopa

Methyldopa Pharmacopoeia

I thought the Lange book was terrible. Alternatively you can glance at the Neuro section of Harrison's, which is quite good.

5. typhoonegator

typhoonegator Neurointensivist
    Moderator Physician

Attending Physician
    I'm a big fan of Patten's "Neurological Differential Diagnosis" for general neuro knowledge and neuroanatomical-clinical correlations. The MGH Handbook is excellent for a pocket reference as well. Both are more than enough for a 4th year elective.

6. micdoc6513

micdoc6513 Almost done with school!

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you for your advice on the neuro books. I am actually interested in doing neurology so I have several audition rotations set up for various neuro residency programs. The physicians I am rotating with are all general neurologists. I wanted some good neuro books to prepare for these rotations. I would appreciate any other advice you can give me... thank you!!!

7. latinfridley

I also hated the lange book. You can try adam and victors neurology.

8. Methyldopa

Methyldopa Pharmacopoeia

Another good book to have on you is that House Officer series book for Neurology. I liked it more than MGH Handbook because it was more indepth.

As for Adam and Victors. That would be impressive if you read that as a med student (I would advise against it). Not that it's bad. It's actually quite good, but very dense.

9. Wheezy

Fellow [Any Field]
    I actually liked the LANGE book and used it on rotation as a student. I guess the best way is to borrow it from the library along with some of the others mentioned and see if it suits your style. Different people like differnt books.

I like adams and victor but it's too big for med school rotations.

10. Palaver87

patient based approaches to cognitive neuroscience is a great summary book if you are interested in research

11. Nerdoscience

Nerdoscience Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you're a med student, the Lange book is great. Also, the Harrison's Neuro section is very nice, and a bit more clinical. If you're doing a sub-i kind of rotation, the House Officer series is my favorite, but you'll want to supplement that with other resources. I like to use UpToDate, but NOT for the articles; I like the REFERENCE LIST. It can give you a good start looking up the original research behind their very opinionated articles. My institution just dropped OVID, which sucks, because it is more user-friendly than PubMed for complicated searches. Or maybe I just don't know PubMed as well.

If you know for sure you want to go into Neuro, you could buy the Adams and Victor. Or you could wait until you have book money as a Neuro resident. I don't think any med student needs the amount of information contained in that book.