Neuro for dummies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone talks about neuroanatomy texts but not much talk about neuroscience texts that you can read cover to cover (Kandel definitely doesn't qualify). Does anyone recommend a neuroscience text that can be read cover to cover?

I started reading Neuroscience at a Glance and Crash Course Nervous System to get my head around the topic but they are not that great for someone like me that has little neuro experience. I am not too happy with my faculty course notes so I am trying to go off on my own a bit and do the self-directed thing. Any thoughts on books or otherwise?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my classmates said "Neurology and Neurosurgery Illustrated" by Bone and Lindsay is good. I'm still hunting for a copy though. I browsed a little through "Medical Neurosciences" by Westmoreland and Bennaroch, and that seemed pretty integrative enough ... good for a kid like me who gets easily gets lost in the concepts. :confused:

The neuro book I've read the most though, is "Technique of the Neurologic Examination" by DeMeyer. It's really good if you want to master performing the neurologic exam, but it wouldn't help much if you want neuroanatomical/physiological concepts...

I've also been looking for a "high yield" neuroscience review. All I have right now for class is Kandel because we don't even get any kind of syllabus, and our lectures can be hit or miss. Has anyone out there tried Basic Concepts in Neuroscience? I haven't been able to glance through a copy because it's been sold out at every bookstore I've been to, but if it's useful I'll definitely order it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bear's neuroscience is a pretty readable text - it's about half the size of kandel's and a bit more conversational in manner.

Thanks. I think I will try to take a look at Bear's or maybe a little Medical Neuroscience (Pritchard & Alloway)/Blumenfeld combo. Although, this sucks because I have already bought Haines Neuroanatomy. I must say, I am not unpleased with Haines thus far. It is a bit difficult to understand but I like that it is full of imaging methods (MRI mainly). However, Blumenfeld may also be.