WAMC for top neurology programs (USMD 275+ Step 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping for some advice and realistic tips for applying to residency this cycle. I'm a rising M4 at a T25 MD program, Step 2 275+, 12 pubs (5 first author) and maybe 2-3 abstracts/posters all during med school (mostly in neuro), but 0 leadership and pretty limited EC's. I would love some advice on the following:

  1. My mentor suggests only applying to ~20 programs since according to him signals matter so much that I probably won't get many interviews at places I don't signal. Is this really enough?
  2. I would like to focus on top programs in the NE (MGH, Hopkins, Columbia, etc) and throw most of my signals that way, is that wise or should I be more conservative?
  3. How much will my lack of leadership and limited EC's be a detriment to my application?
 
You're a top performer at a top program. I don't expect you'll have any problems. You should apply to top programs. I expect your home program would love to keep you. I doubt anyone will care about lack of leadership, and no one cares about EC's.

You didn't mention your clerkship performance. Assuming that mirrors everything else, you'll be very competitive in a (mostly) non-competitive field.