neuro-onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llogg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody shed some light on the neuro-onc subspecialty? Specifically I'm looking for info on practicality of a non-academic practice, the types of patients seen, and general satisfaction with the field (and why). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anybody shed some light on the neuro-onc subspecialty? Specifically I'm looking for info on practicality of a non-academic practice, the types of patients seen, and general satisfaction with the field (and why). Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that most neurosurgeons are in private practice, kind of surprising given the research opportunities and the need for research into devastating diseases like brain tumors. I am sure that you would be able to find a "non-academic" job being a neuro-oncologist. I think that the definition of an academician is changing, as are the boundaries between academics and private practice, to a certain extent. For instance, one can be a private practice pediatrician, see patients, but also teach medical students in their office, be involved in a clinical study and do international health work, but not be affiliated with an academic institution. Likewise, many physicians in "academic medicine" simply have residents and students that they teach, however, they get a pool of residents to triage their patients at night (may need to share this in a group practice, having residents help you out is great), and have medical students to run around supporting the residents. My view/ideal of an academic physician is one that runs a lab, sees patients, teaches students and residents, do community service and publishes good papers. Obviously, most physicians don't do this or want to. Personally, I think that the positive aspects of academic medicine overweigh private practice, and you don't need to publish or perish anymore. I would feel frustrated being a neuro-oncologist who didn't do some research because I would feel like I wasn't doing enough for my patients. It is difficult telling people that they have a brain tumor, and maybe only 6 months to live, and they don't teach you how to do this in medical school, and if they do it is with some b.s. about using the magical power of silence or pre-planned act where you act like a robot, or just stating it bluntly and what the next steps will be. You would get alot of satisfaction if you woke up everyday to fight for the quality of life of your patients and see value in your work.