• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

JMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
I just took Dr. Doan's "Who's browsing" poll and felt guilty that I never actually post in the optho forum, so I have a few quick questions.

I am interested in both neuro and optho. When it comes time to apply through SF match, are you able to apply to programs in 2 specialties if you are still contemplating where you would like to end up?

I have heard that neuro residents can do neuro-opthalmology fellowships. Where would they fall in terms of practicing after completing such a fellowship?

That's all for now. I am sure I will have plenty more questions in about 2 years. :cool:

Visionary

Medical Retinologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
JMD said:
I am interested in both neuro and optho. When it comes time to apply through SF match, are you able to apply to programs in 2 specialties if you are still contemplating where you would like to end up?
There is nothing to prevent you from doing so; however, I would advise against it. Applying to any 2 specialties could be potentially damaging to your chances of matching in either. For purposes of application and interview, you need to come across as having a strong, resolute interest in the field. As there is no way (that I know of) to submit multiple personal statements through SFMatch, you really need to pick a single path and stick to it. If you are unsure, do rotations (or at least shadow) in each to clarify things for yourself.

JMD said:
I have heard that neuro residents can do neuro-opthalmology fellowships. Where would they fall in terms of practicing after completing such a fellowship?
True, there are both neurology- and ophthalmology-trained neuro-ophthalmologists out there, and as far as their subspecialization goes, they are essentially the same. From what I understand, neuro-ophthalmology is a rather low-volume subspecialty. You'll find that the majority are affiliated with academic institutions and tend to be half-time clinicians and half-time researchers or administrators. The choice of path depends on what you want to do when you aren't practicing neuro-ophthalmology. As an ophthalmologist, you can perform surgeries (e.g., muscles, cataracts) and/or practice as a general clinical ophthalmologist. As a neurologist, you can practice as a general clinical neurologist, but surgery is obviously out.

Hope this helps. :D

About the Ads