Neuro programs in/around DC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who is not as obsessed with scutwork as I am. :)

She is an M3 this year, planning to apply to a neuro residency program next year. She wants to be in/around DC to be near someone special. :love: What are your thoughts on programs at Georgetown, GW, and UMd? She is a way above avg student, especially first and second year, and has good board scores and a summer research fellowship in child neurology.

Any info on these programs would be really helpful...

-kem

Members don't see this ad.

How good is she? If she is willing to go to UMd, how about Hopkins?

I asked an attending I was working with about the DC programs a while ago when I was working on my application list, and he told me to stay away from all of them unless I was really dying to live in DC.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oneuro said:
Hi,

NIH funding to Neurology Departments in 2002. Not sure how helpful this is,

http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/neurology02.htm

By that list, Harvard is a horrible place for Neurology, much worse than University of Vermont.

This list compiles numbers for $ awarded to MEDICAL SCHOOLS departments, not training program DEPARTMENTS. If the Dept of Neurology is not under the medical school administrative structure, then the dept will be ranked very low on this list. Lists such as this one are great for policy makers but almost utterly useless for applicants.

Thanks for your advice!

I think she's a great applicant, one of those people I'm jealous of who always beats the mean by a lot on exams. And she's done research, which I think is a plus in any field. But, she's convinced she is "not good enough" to even apply to places like Hopkins. Sigh. I think I finally convinced her to send her ERAS there. She really wants to be in DC b\c her boyfriend is there, and it would be a pain for him to move, but he said if he had to he would.

GopherBrain, did your attending say why the DC programs are bad? Anyone else have any input on Georgetown or GW?

:) kem

No, he didn't really go into specifics. However, he knows that I am interested in a future in academic neurology, and said that doing a residency in DC wouldn't be the best starting point. Perhaos the programs are more desirable if you want to go into private practice.