Neuro switching into IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iBS1972

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering how easy is it to switch from IM to neuro after intern year?

Edit: Sorry about the title, it should be the other way around (IM to neuro).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If someone leaves a categorical neuro program at the end of the PGY-1 year, then a PGY-2 spot will open up. I've personally known categorical neuro residents switch to psych, anesthesia, path, and even derm after internship year. Spots were filled by IM residents or a recent IM graduate. If you're an IM resident interested in neuro, talk to the neuro PD at your hospital to see if there is an open PGY-2 spot, especially in a categorical program. However, make sure your medicine PD is aware of your interests.

Hi everyone, I was wondering how easy is it to switch from IM to neuro after intern year?

Edit: Sorry about the title, it should be the other way around (IM to neuro).

There are PGY-2 spots that open up every year. I believe now you have to formally go through ERAS and for that, you require your PD's letter of recommendation. ERAS is also a good way to know of the available spots, although you'll be best served by keeping an eye out and asking your friends in different programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
There are PGY-2 spots that open up every year. I believe now you have to formally go through ERAS and for that, you require your PD's letter of recommendation. ERAS is also a good way to know of the available spots, although you'll be best served by keeping an eye out and asking your friends in different programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's very good to know, thank you! The thing is I'm guessing that there's not really that many applicants switching, so would I be correct in assuming that you would have a very limited number of choices to choose from?

That's very good to know, thank you! The thing is I'm guessing that there's not really that many applicants switching, so would I be correct in assuming that you would have a very limited number of choices to choose from?

Correct. Often, you could discuss within your own hospital if you have a neurology residency of interest to you. Otherwise,it's the open market for transfers, or finishing IM and considering a second round of residency.