Neuro Text Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for Neuroanatomy textbooks that worked for you? My school used Haines "Fundamental Neuroscience" and it really was worthless. What did others use?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Haines, your notes, and High-yield should be all you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kandel's "Principles of Neural Science." i think it's a pretty decent text book... i used it for my undergrad neuroscience course, i think they use the same book at my med school... dont start brain and mind till sept. though, a little scared of the face dissection!!

sleepymed said:
Kandel's "Principles of Neural Science." i think it's a pretty decent text book... i used it for my undergrad neuroscience course, i think they use the same book at my med school... dont start brain and mind till sept. though, a little scared of the face dissection!!

For me, that book was a total waste of $100, very low yield.

Blumenfeld for sure
Introduction to Clinical Neuroscience by Michael Nolan is a great clinical guide too

sleepymed said:

From what I understand, Kandel is the book to have if you're serious about neuro (the PI in my lab told one of the post docs to order it for herself) I also hear it's very dense, so it might be tough to read and absorb all you need during a 6 to 8 week neuro course. If your interested in neuro, plunk down the 100 bucks or so to get it for class and as a long-term reference. I've also heard the Haines is key for classes at my school.
For boards, high yield, BRS and first aid might be more efficient as secondary references--I emphasize that because they are good outlines for review, but are not good primary resources to use when you are still learning the material. The high yield books in particular assume that the outlines they provide will jog your memory--but you need to be able to fill in the blanks. They are designed to emphasize material tested on the boards.
We don't do head/neck and neuro until fall, so I don't speak from experience...my info is from what previous second years have told me as well as MSTPs in my class who have taken some neuro grad classes.
good luck