Neuro Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMGforNeuro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask all the neurology residents , fellows and consultants regarding the textbooks which neurology residents use?
Which is the book that is considered the ' bible' of neurology?
I have heard of Adams and Victors ; Merritt's ; Clinical Neurology by baker & baker; Neurology in clinical practice by bradley, daroff, et al; Diseases of the nervous system vols 1 & 2 by asbury , mckhann and mcdonald. Which of these is the most commonly used and is the best ?
Which do you think is the most comprehensive textbook for stroke and cerebrovasc disease?
what about Stroke: pathophysiology,diagnosis and management vols 1 & 2 by barnett , mohr , stein and yatsu ( churchill livingstone) ; and Stroke : a clinical approach by caplan (Butterworths) ?

Members don't see this ad.

We use "Neurology in Clinical Practice" by Walter G. Bradley (Editor) as our bible. It's a hefty 2 volume set. 2545 pages of neurology.

ISBN: 0750674695

It sells on Ebay for $395.

I'm going to be a resident in 2005 in neuro. I like to go to amazon and check out all the books that are rated and then read the reviews. From the impression I got, Adams and Victor is the one most liked while Merritt's is kind of verbose, but then again I haven't read either of them. I read Adams for Aphasias which gave a very interesting read. Dr. Bradley's book is long. He's the director at Jackson in Miami, he's quite a friendly and smart fellow. The residents there were tryuing to get a copy of his new book from the drug reps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which book is good for the PGY1, the first year, please?

DO you mean PGY1 IM prelim?? I just matched yesterday so I don't know. Can you be a little more specific in your question please?

Hey Ross Neuro,

Where did you match? Im at flushing.

If I had known you were going to flushing, I would've taken the prematch offer. I didn't take it at first because I didn't want to speak Vietnamese to all the pts. That makes three people I know in that program (all prelim). My first choice is at Norwalk Hospital, 2nd at Morristown, so I will find out on Thurs where I matched. Did you prematch at Flushing or did you find out by someone calling you?

They offered a prematch and I accepted. It was convenient for me since I live in Long Island. Plus I didn't have the time to go to all my other interviews because of my work at Kessler. I cancelled the rest once I signed.