neuro too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carrot

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year applying for psychiatry but have realized that I'd rather do neuro after my rotation. I'm too nervous to jump ship on my psych spots for next year but i'm positive that neuro is for me.. what the **** should i do? any thoughts on a combination? Does anyone know how hard it is to get a PGY2 position during internship? Is it even possible to go from a psych internship year and switch into neuro. Thanks for your help.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, no you can't do that. You need to do a medicine year. Look at previous threads about details about what the requirements are. Maybe you can withdraw, and scramble into a medicine program, then negotiate a neuro position for next year.

If you can't, you wouldn't be the first or last person to switch too late, and need to redo or stand out a year.

i know someone who switched from psych to neuro during internship, basically they found a place that not only had a pgy 2 spot outside the match (someone left), but one that arranged for them to make up the medicine they needed while there(it they had a kinda special schedule once they started pgy 2). i think for neuro you need 8 months of internal medicine, psych usually does less as pgy 1 depending on the program...i think the above is pretty unique, but it might be possible depending on how badly programs match/need a pgy 2 and how competitive your application is...

thanks for your help, now i'm just trying to decide which route to go...:thumbup: