neuro vs gi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted396535

Hello everyone!!
i have pretty much read every topic comparing neuro vs im but haven't found anything comparing neuro vs gi in particular which are my two options...and since i have to make a choice with only 4 days left i' d like to hear any last minute advice ...
Well, my first choice was neuro because i was (and still am) fascinated by the subject,i mean the brain is obviously the most interesting part of the human body...But other than that from what i hear/read neuro is too theoretical, patients most of the time are not happy with their treatments(?), no procedures at all, not so good compensation, not so many neuro patients(?)(i live in a relativelly small city),not so many cures,you also get visits from psychiatric patients(?)On the other hand gi, which i also enjoyed,offers both procedures and theoretical thinking which i like, more patients(?), happier patients in general, definitely more money,i find the liver also interesting, but it is not so clean a specialty, patients are reluctant to accept colonoscopies-rectal exams(??)..
Finally i' ve recently read that medscape compensation report, it appears that 63% of neurologists would choose again the same specialty, whereas for gi it's 80%...That must mean something,no??All these things now make me consider gi instead of neuro...
Any advice is really welcome, i have a very difficult time deciding..Keep in mind that in my country gi is 2 years im followed by 4 years fellowship instead of 3+3,and also both specialties are equally competitive, so competitiveness is not a factor in my decision...thank you in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

You probably won't get too many people responding here because I would wager you're the only one in history trying to decide between Neuro and GI. These specialties are polar opposites. I absolutely hate GI, find it incredibly boring, and liken it to being a glorified plumber. Most neurologists probably feel the same way. I think the big question as someone once posed to me in medical school is: are you a doer or a thinker? GI is heavily into procedures and Neuro has very few. Which could you see yourself reading about every day and staying interested, even 20 years from now? I wouldn't worry about the salary, time for training, or what % of people responded that they were happy with their job. Just pick whichever one you are most interested in and enjoy.

You probably won't get too many people responding here because I would wager you're the only one in history trying to decide between Neuro and GI. These specialties are polar opposites.

The brain is the rostral liver. Bet you didn't know that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably won't get too many people responding here because I would wager you're the only one in history trying to decide between Neuro and GI. These specialties are polar opposites. I absolutely hate GI, find it incredibly boring, and liken it to being a glorified plumber.

:laugh: Maybe it's because I'm still pre-med, but I can see the appeal in both specialties.

Yeah, it means that the compensation for GI is about twice that of neuro.

I'm not sure about why this is... I know a neurologist (partner at small group) who brings home >450k. Yet these surveys always report about half that. Is he a rare case? Any comments from others who know?