neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

KK82

The research lab i work in is headed by a neurosurgeon. this stuff seems interesting.

what attracts you guys to neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to really like the nervous system in general first. I think it's a fascinating system and it's amazing how all of the circuitry controls everything the way it does. I'm doing research with a neurosurgeon this summer at the Moffitt Cancer Center. It's amazing how the nervous system works. I'm also interested in surgery so that's why I'm considering neurosurgery. The hours are long though...

The fact that everyone on this board told me that I can't become a brain/spinal cord surgeon because I don't fit the "typical" neurosurgeon-wannabe profile - mainly because I actually have a life :D

KK82 said:
what attracts you guys to neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad :)
PiccoloPlaya said:
The fact that everyone on this board told me that I can't become a brain/spinal cord surgeon because I don't fit the "typical" neurosurgeon-wannabe profile - mainly because I actually have a life :D

It is more likely because you are too tall. All Neurosurgeons are pip squeaks while all orthopedic surgeons are crosses between football and basketball players. So if you are stuck anywhere in between, just go general surgery.

I'm a tiny, petite 5 feet 2 inch tall brunette female. Most people assume I'm a dumb bimbo because of my looks...they can't believe I'm in medical school...or that I'd want to go into neurosurgery. It's kinda funny though. :D

TruTrooper said:
It is more likely because you are too tall. All Neurosurgeons are pip squeaks while all orthopedic surgeons are crosses between football and basketball players. So if you are stuck anywhere in between, just go general surgery.

PiccoloPlaya said:
I'm a tiny, petite 5 feet 2 inch tall brunette female. Most people assume I'm a dumb bimbo because of my looks...they can't believe I'm in medical school...or that I'd want to go into neurosurgery. It's kinda funny though. :D

trust me nobody who plays a piccolo is that attractive. i very much believe your in medschool.. 1. you are on an internet board ALOT, 2. you play thepiccolo
nuf said peace

Well, I guess I'm an exception then :D

Ramoray said:
trust me nobody who plays a piccolo is that attractive.

PiccoloPlaya said:
Well, I guess I'm an exception then :D
even if i bought that.. statistically speaking NO chance in hell that somebody plays piccolo AND flute AND is a medstudent is attractive.. its a simple numbers game my friend. id advise stearing clear of vegas

Anything that moves gets hit on in Vegas... :rolleyes:

You've got a point. Well, either way, usually when I tell people that neurosurgery is in one of my interests, they just laugh. So I think there should be more smart, pretty women that aren't snooty anal retentive b*tches going into the field so that the stereotype can be changed.

ku06 said:
Anything that moves gets hit on in Vegas

TruTrooper said:
actually, last year's top three choices for incoming ortho residents at one of the hallowed manhattan schools were *gasp* women. they matched at other places in the end, but no, they didn't look like lisa leslie crossed with mike tyson.

Exactly. I hate to say it, but a number of people (both men and women) are intimidated by a hot, sexy woman with a brain on her shoulders who doesn't take crap from anyone. I mean, just read some of the nasty responses on this board to some of my posts on the other threads. Yeah, I'm goofy, I've got a crazy whacked sense of humor (which most women don't appreciate, sad to say) but that doesn't mean I should be insulted by jealous male med students just cuz I'm a pretty girl who digs neuroscience. (No I'm not conceited, just proving a point.) Plus, it's not really men being chauvinistic anymore either, I notice it's the ladies that are holding other women down...or is Type-B a male? :D

TheFlash said:
actually, last year's top three choices for incoming ortho residents at one of the hallowed manhattan schools were *gasp* women. they matched at other places in the end, but no, they didn't look like lisa leslie crossed with mike tyson.

PiccoloPlaya said:
Exactly. I hate to say it, but a number of people (both men and women) are intimidated by a hot, sexy woman with a brain on her shoulders who doesn't take crap from anyone. I mean, just read some of the nasty responses on this board to some of my posts on the other threads. Yeah, I'm goofy, I've got a crazy whacked sense of humor (which most women don't appreciate, sad to say) but that doesn't mean I should be insulted by jealous male med students just cuz I'm a pretty girl who digs neuroscience. (No I'm not conceited, just proving a point.) Plus, it's not really men being chauvinistic anymore either, I notice it's the ladies that are holding other women down...or is Type-B a male? :D

anyone that calls themselves attractive as much as you do has some major selfesteem issues and those types are NEVER the attractive ones. If your hot then you know it and you dont have to tell everyone on an internet board 10 tiems a day.. think about how that looks. post your pic if your so hot .. ill pay you 100 bucks if you turn out to be hot. i hate liars especially on random internet boards.. soo lame

PiccoloPlaya said:
You've got a point. Well, either way, usually when I tell people that neurosurgery is in one of my interests, they just laugh. So I think there should be more smart, pretty women that aren't snooty anal retentive b*tches going into the field so that the stereotype can be changed.

Hmm...two thoughts as I read this post.

1. Maybe they laugh because they know you. After reading many of your insulting posts and taunts, I can't picture it either. Neurosurgeons have bigger and better things to concentrate on (er, and future NSHers should *ahem* be studying and learning) than exchanging insults anonymously on an internet board. Most neurosurgeons I've met are grown nerd-types and are very much wrapped in their own little world.
2. Do you mean that you are a smart, pretty woman and you will help break this stereotype? but then why do you insult females in medicine so much?

The chance to treat the sickest of the sick, play with the coolest toys, and being able to apply my graduate work make nsurg good times in my book...

You'd be suprised just how many women are in the neurosurgical field these days. Granted its still a minoirty, but if you peruse some of the various departments nationwide, you will see quite a few female attendings and residents. Case in point: Brigham and Women's. Best of luck too all of you neurosugeons to be XX and XY. :thumbup:

Since we have a thread to ourselves: how many of you get "Dont do neurosurgery, do Radiology, you'll be happier" when you discuss your future aspirations? I had a nickel for every time...

Yeah, but that's the fun of it. Come on, it's just an internet message board. You think I'm really like this in real life? Puh-leeze. (although I am goofy) :D

Smurfette said:
Hmm...two thoughts as I read this post.
1. Maybe they laugh because they know you. After reading many of your insulting posts and taunts, I can't picture it either. Neurosurgeons have bigger and better things to concentrate on (er, and future NSHers should *ahem* be studying and learning) than exchanging insults anonymously on an internet board. Most neurosurgeons I've met are grown nerd-types and are very much wrapped in their own little world.
2. Do you mean that you are a smart, pretty woman and you will help break this stereotype? but then why do you insult females in medicine so much?