neuroanat + biochem killing me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inderjeet

Jay Bharaj
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was hoping anyone could advise me how to kill these 2 subjects because at the moment, they are sucking the life out of me. i have done both from kaplan and first aid once, but still feel m gonna do alot of questions wrong from these subjects. i have 2 and half months till the exam, so was in delimma, just to do uworld and fa for these subjects, or try another review source., please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I was having difficulty with these two subjects+ Biostats but unfortunately there is no magic formula I could find.
All I did was to do questions and read about the topics from whatever resource (Review Book, Textbook, Videos, Pathoma, Goljan, wikipedia etc etc).

Here's a post I wrote a couple weeks ago on my strategy for biochem:

The way I looked at biochem and it served me decently well on UWorld and the actual thing is that there are some core pathways and things I need to know. Everything else is fluff or pretty low yield
1) Nutrition - Vitamins (function, deficiency, excess if it's listed, there's a good schematic in FA on the B12 page showing the parallel methionine/homocysteine/cysteine and methylmalonic acid/propionyl-CoA/heme pathway involving B6, B9, and B12 that's super clutch, I also added a couple steps from branched chain amino acids to methylmalonic acid with biotin cofactor because it's important in maple syrup urine disease and FA doesn't really go into that)
2) Pathways:
- DNA/nucleotide synthesis/salvage (the schematic in FA involving the drugs on the 2nd page is helpful, from the purine pathways I'd just look at HGPRT and ADA and skim the rest)
- Collagen synthesis: where/what happens in every step, what enzymes/cofactors, which diseases, what symptoms
- Cell metabolism: glucose, fructose, galactose (major enzymes, regulation, shunts, side pathways, alternative names, common diseases)
- Urea cycle: where/what happens, diseases
- Heme synthesis: where/what happens, enzymes, inhibitors/regulators (this is probably the easiest pathway, FA has a good schematic later on in the heme/onc section, memorize it, write it out a couple times, you are done)
3) Misc:
- Some of those random genetic diseases mentioned in FA: NF1/2, Angelman/Prader-Willi, etc, but I tend to remember those better when they come up in organ systems later on in FA
- Glycogen storage diseases and lysosomal storage diseases: 2 FA charts are super nice
- Know the functions of the apolipoproteins (nice chart in FA as well)
- Some random amino acid products (FA has a chart)

That's practically 95% of biochem you need to know. Note, I skipped the research methods part because I've got a fair amount of benchwork under my belt as MD/PhD student so I didn't need to focus on that.

I think to help me get over the "abstract-ness" of biochem, I often tried to find connections in organ systems and go back to biochem for reviews. In fact, biochem is the section that I referred back to the most out of the entire book. I'll give a few examples:

1) When in endocrine (and GI) and it mentions carcinoid syndrome, one of the correlates is niacin deficiency. That's a great opportunity to go back to the amino acid derivatives chart in biochem section and see that both niacin and serotonin are made from tryptophan and review the rest of the chart. And then you can go back to niacin and review its function and symptoms of deficiency. That's 2 things from biochem right there.

2) When in the renal section and you come upon the chart with renal stones, it's a great time to go back to that biochem section on cystinuria and see that lack of COLA transporters cause excess cystine in urine leading to recurrent hexagonal stones as well as lack of GI absorption. In addition, the treatment is hydration, citrate, and acetazolamide. A good time for a quick review of that page as well.

Stuff like that

I hate both of them too. Biochem just takes repetition. NA, I found I can answer most from FA and what I learned in class.

Biochem, learn the main enzymes and diseases. Then, work on pathways if you have the time. That is what kills me now. They will ask some pathway question that I can't remember. I am just using FA and UW. I can at get most right and narrow down.

Members don't see this ad :)
For neuroanatomy you might find it helpful to have sections of the brainstem with (only) the relevant structures drawn in. You can then demarcate the part of each section that is affected in a certain syndrome or lesion. I took the time out to do this with the help of Snell neuroanatomy, and I think it really helped to have that quick reference, because I found the diagrams in FA to be lacking.

For biochemistry, as everyone has mentioned, always try to tie in the diseases with the pathways. Also try to understand feedback mechanisms within the pathways because diagnostic testing often utilises that. At the very minimum you should try to have a hold on at least the directly disease associated enzymes/substrates.

dont use another review source, using kaplan neuro is probably as much spoonfeeding as you can get, just make sure you know it cold, FA biochem IMO is one of the worst chapters given in FA in reference to reading it, high yield wise its great but the way its given and structured makes me want to turn on sportcenter and just chill lol