Neurohospitalist PTO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PecanPie1984

Reaction score
Hi all

Im in preliminary stages of considering a neurohospitalist position

7 on 7off , 12 hr shifts

Do these positions generally offer PTO?

Even though you're off half a year, you're essentially compressing an years worth of work into half year. So I feel PTO must be offered.

What if a person wants to take a vacation longer than 1 week (7off)

A place that offered me a position has no PTO .

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the jobs I encountered unfortunately don’t offer PTO. Some offer 2 weeks

Im wondering why people accept these positions with zero PTO.

It puts the burden of finding coverage on the (neuro)hospitalist if they want 2 or 3 weeks off.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my situation, I can take 2 or 3 weeks off but this means I’ll have to payback my partner who would be covering me

As to why I accept this arrangement, I guess geographical restrictions. The job I signed up for is in a competitive market, close where my family resides.

Hi all

Im in preliminary stages of considering a neurohospitalist position

7 on 7off , 12 hr shifts

Do these positions generally offer PTO?

Even though you're off half a year, you're essentially compressing an years worth of work into half year. So I feel PTO must be offered.

What if a person wants to take a vacation longer than 1 week (7off)

A place that offered me a position has no PTO .

Thanks
Yes its not uncommon. Although there are positions where you will get PTO, depends on how many neurohospitalists they have. Most of the time you have to work with your partner to get more than 7 days and pay it back. This is how I do it.

Usually 1 week in my experience.

C'est la vie.

Thanks all for your responses.
Guess it all comes down to demand and supply
Much easier for employer to offer no PTO if they can get away with it in their local market.

I’m starting a position in a large midwestern city with 10 day pto. It’s out there. The neurohospitalists that started the program before me did a good job establishing this.

Reactions: 1 user
Same problem with 7 on 7 off psych. Best you can get typically is someone willing to work an extra 2-3 days to give you 10 days off, but then they will want to the same back. It's doable, but not perfect.

Compared to IM hospitalists there aren't usually tons of docs covering a neuro or psych hospital service so having someone willing to pick up extra shifts to give you 2-3 weeks off is basically impossible. The dream scenario is having a hospital with large outpatient neuro (or psych) clinic with docs willing and able to cover hospital work for the hospitalist team. A bench of docs if you don't mind the sports analogy. If you had 8 outpatient neurologists who could pickup hospital shifts you probably create a coverage system for the hospital docs to have longer vacations. The problem we have in psych is can't hire enough people so the bench is really lacking.

I once worked at a placed where they offered 2 weeks PTO and 2 weeks CME- essentially making it 20 weeks a year. Pay was $330k.
I seen places that offered PTO. They are out there. You just have to look.
In most places, if you have a partner willing to work 2 weeks on, you can switch no problem. You can be creative 10 days etc. I did plenty of times.
I would always cover when asked as they would owe me one….and that favor in my back pocket.

I agree with the OP. They make it seem like you are taking half a year off but working 12 hrs 7 days a week, you are are essentially compacting 2 weeks into 1.
If you have negotiating power, I would bringing it up to the group. Often times, the person who established the neurohospitalist program did not think about this or where short on staff.