Neurohospitalist question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to do a vascular neurology fellowship in order to be able to work as a neurohospitalist? I am training in southern california, and it seems like you have to do a vascular neurology fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

This question was beaten to death in recent threads

Answer is no

Reactions: 1 users
Here's one such thread:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to do a vascular neurology fellowship in order to be able to work as a neurohospitalist? I am training in southern california, and it seems like you have to do a vascular neurology fellowship.
You are training in the most congested job market in the country. There probably aren't even many NH jobs available, and the ones that are probably pay well below market rates compared to the rest of the country. So yes in LA/SF they can demand whatever they want and get it. Also, enjoy the taxes.

Reactions: 1 users
You are training in the most congested job market in the country. There probably aren't even many NH jobs available, and the ones that are probably pay well below market rates compared to the rest of the country. So yes in LA/SF they can demand whatever they want and get it. Also, enjoy the taxes.

5 months ago I interviewed for two jobs in the area (one in SB and the other in another town of LA county). Both jobs are for a larger medical staffing corporation. Pay 315-350. No fellowship required. Volume is on the lower end. Stroke are handled virtually by tele (vascular neurologists that work for the company).

I didn’t choose to go further with the interview process since the COL is ridiculously insane. For example, a 3bedroom 1600sqft rental house is 7k/month. Purchasing a property there would require a very large chunk of your take home income.

Reactions: 1 user
What was the schedule like? 7 on/7 off? Did you get an idea of daily volumes?

Can corroborate Ibn Alnafis' posts.

I'm a new neurohospitalist in LA. I came here because I have friends/family in the area and always dreamed of living here. There are plenty of jobs everywhere if you know where to look.

My hospital is in central LA. My first contract here was for ~280K base but I will clear about 350K this year with extra pay -> and renewing next year for 350K base (rate for new hires as well I've been told). Schedule is 7on/7off, I don't have to do any stroke alerts as there are multiple of us on service (although can take them if want for ~500-800 per day), volume about 8-14 pts seen/day (average 10) including new+followups. Love it here--kind of in disbelief of how good I have it honestly.

I feel the idea of low pay in metropolitan areas is overblown (unless you're in academics). My friends who are neurohospitalists in the LA area make about 325-400, and my friends in NYC make a bit less about 300-325--although we might all have it lucky who knows.

COL concerns are real though, have a 2 bedroom apt and shelling out ~4500/month. But my significant other makes more than me so we can spare the change.

To answer OP's question: No. Note though that going the "recruiter route" will heavily favor vascular trained, but if you find departments directly you'll see that they have different needs. Being able to read EEGs always helps as well (great fit for neurophys/epilepsy people, especially if you work on service structure with a Stroke/ICU person and a Floor/EEG person tandem as some hospitals do).

Reactions: 1 user