Neuroimaging fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onechance

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could some one please tell me that after completing the fellowship, what will be the job description . Do they do half of neuro and half of radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

They do whatever they want. I know a few who have completed a neuroimaging fellowship as part of another fellowship, and aren't reading any scans at all, just practicing.

Realistically, you will probably end up reading 1-2 days per week, and practicing for the rest, but it really depends. You may be able to find a large practice that wants you to read all the time.

Remember, after a neuroimaging fellowship you are NOT a neuroradiologist, and cannot present yourself as such. You can't just go get a job as a hospital radiologist. In fact, most of the radiologists I know think the whole concept of neurologists formally reading scans is a terrible idea. But then again, they have some vested interest in the issue.

When you say they are reading 1-2 days a week, do you mean that they are formally interpreting the scans, as well as able to bill for them? I was under the assumption that neurologists were not able to bill for scans yet.

The reason I ask is because I am an MS3 and I have been interested in neurology for quite some time now, but have recently become very interested in neurorads. Because of my interest in neuro tho, I have not made the jump to radiology, because frankly, I dont care too much for abdominal CTs and pelvic ultrasounds. Either way, I would eventually like to go into interventional neuro. I know this topic has been discussed many times however (neuro vs. rads for interventional), but what can one do, and not do, after having completed the neuroimaging fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar interest in both for a time. I thought about it and realized, I will have much more neurorad time in neurology than I will neurology time in neuroradiology. A neurologist is free (and expected) to look at all imaging studies that he/she orders, while a radiologist can't run up to the wards and start performing neuro exams on patients.

A neurologist is free (and expected) to look at all imaging studies that he/she orders, while a radiologist can't run up to the wards and start performing neuro exams on patients.

:laugh:

The key difference being that no radiologist in the world has even the slightest interest in performing exams on patients . . .

A neurologist can take a neuroimaging fellowship, take an accreditation exam, and formally read neuro-axis MRIs and CT scans. Yes, they can even bill. I have a colleague in my program who is doing this.

how widely accepted is a neurologist who bills for neuro scans? Is this something that will become common as neurologists embrace this idea as another potential billable aspect? I wouldnt imagine that radiologists are too happy about this. How does one stack up against a neuroradiologist in a practice setting? Would a neurologist trained in neuroimaging only be successful in remote areas where a neuroradiologist might not be closeby? Sorry if these questions have already been asked, but any response would be greatly appreciated!

One example is in private pactice, if you have that fellowship under your belt you bill for everything you read, rathe rthan needing a radiologist checking your work. IN a hospital or cinic elsewhere, politics may get sticky. Depends on your career choice. Anyone think this sound accurate?

Yeah. Hospitals tend to contract with the hospital radiology practice, which in effect locks out anyone else from reading scans and billing for them in-house. Radiology runs the show in the hospital, and that's something you're going to have to live with. In private practice, however, you can do quite well, reading scans for smaller practices rather than radiology, or joining up with a larger neuro practice and reading all their scans.

Does anyone know if the time spent in neuroimaging during training for interventional neurology can get you certified to read films, or is the whole 1 year required to do so? I know this is a pretty detailed question, but if anyone knows, I am all ears....

Yeah. Hospitals tend to contract with the hospital radiology practice, which in effect locks out anyone else from reading scans and billing for them in-house. Radiology runs the show in the hospital, and that's something you're going to have to live with. In private practice, however, you can do quite well, reading scans for smaller practices rather than radiology, or joining up with a larger neuro practice and reading all their scans.

how widely accepted is a neurologist who bills for neuro scans? Is this something that will become common as neurologists embrace this idea as another potential billable aspect? I wouldnt imagine that radiologists are too happy about this. How does one stack up against a neuroradiologist in a practice setting? Would a neurologist trained in neuroimaging only be successful in remote areas where a neuroradiologist might not be closeby? Sorry if these questions have already been asked, but any response would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a recent editorial in the annals of neurology that shed's some light on the "turf". Also, if you have access to it, read the forward in this months Continuum.

I hope more neurologist read scans. I think it will benefit research & patient care; kinda like how cardiologist read & research echos, perfusion scans, venous dopplers & angiograms. Regardless of whether you do a fellowship, neurologists should become comfortable with interpreting & understanding these tools.

Annals of Neurology. Volume 63 Issue 6, Pages A13 - A16.
Neuroimaging turf battles flare
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
10.1002/ana.21259
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119882926/abstract