neurointerventional anyone interested?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The SWIFT trial seems promising. Anyone else watching developments in INR?

Members don't see this ad.

Huge neurointerventional fan here... will be applying for rads and going all the way through to NIR, hopefully.

Haven't read too much on SWIFT yet, but IMS-III's results are somewhat obsolete w/ the development of new equipment. IMS-III focused a lot on MERCI and PENUMBRA devices with minimal vascularization (TICI scores of mostly 2a). With SOLITAIRE, results are a LOT better. As far as acute stroke management, I strongly believe that neurointervention will continue to play a huge role.

As far as AVMs, AVFs, aneurysms, etc... NIR all the way!

When I was a medical student about 8-9 years ago, there were the same or even more excitement about Merci device. There were also a huge excitement about CT colonography and coronary CTA. Nothing changed.

I don't say you don't go for it, but don't put all your money on it. If you don't mind not finding a NeuroIR job and will be happy doing diagnostics only, then go for it. But don't expect to much since the field has multiple levels of uncertainty including the effectiveness of the treatment itself, turf issues, ....

I personally aimed for diagnostics only. I obtained non vascular IR skills, light vascular skills and spine pain management probably just as a side skill during my education. Now in my practice I am doing almost 30-40% procedures and I like them. But I don't mind not doing them.

As a medical student, you only see the super specialized aspect of any field. But, this is not a case for pp. make sure yoy like the back bone of each field. Make sure you like general radiology. You may become the best IR, NeuroIR or the best MSK radiologist. But, how your jobs requirements fit with your skills is a very different long story. Most likely you will not end up doing what you exactly like in your new job.

I have a colleague who is NeuroIR trained, but does not doing any Neuro vascular work since neurosurgeons are coiling their aneurysms here. He is doing general radiology including CXR and mammo, Diagnostic neuroradiology, some spine injections, some light IR like PICC and once in a blue moon diagnostic angiograms. He seems to be OK with it, though not his ideal job.

My 2 cents.