Neurology compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of curiousity Neurochica, who do you contact to discuss work directly? Most of the locums gigs have been looking--as you've said--to use the locums as a way to hire a permanent candidate--how do you bypass this objection?

Many thanks for your input thus far--it's really nice to see someone getting their worth from admin.

I talk to the person who is doing the hiring. Because they are looking for permanent docs, you need to be able to communicate to them that you are a solution to their problem.
Once You are in the door, they rather pay a premium to a known commodity than risk having a really bad doc so they’ll keep calling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
so I see a lot of awesome salary stories which is great but, what's the norm? some places i see 230k some places i see 300k. I'm trying to decide what to do with my life and although compensation is not huge deciding factor, I just finished my neuro rotation and absolutely loved it and am hoping to get more knowledge

Reactions: 1 user
so I see a lot of awesome salary stories which is great but, what's the norm? some places i see 230k some places i see 300k. I'm trying to decide what to do with my life and although compensation is not huge deciding factor, I just finished my neuro rotation and absolutely loved it and am hoping to get more knowledge
I think largely depends on location, practice type, and fellowship (for procedures and stuff). But always would love more info on this as well as an applicant this year

Members don't see this ad :)
Surveys say high 200s but anecdotally I see low 300s.

If you loved neuro then you should go for it. You’ll always make good money. Better money than primary care, hospitalists and nonprocedural IM specialties.

Reactions: 2 users

High 200s to low 300s for base compensation with productivity incentives to get beyond that is what I saw most commonly during my job search. There will be outliers in either direction. Lots of places with generous sign on bonuses as well (25 to 50k) although this was pre-covid.

Bottom line: if you love neuro then do it. The job market is one of the best in medicine.

2018 MGMA data put median total compensation for neurology at 302,827. Anyone have newer data?

Reactions: 4 users
Does anybody have knowledge of starting salaries in neurocritical care?

I tend to see high salaries for Neuro ICU jobs in private practice. However, many jobs are at academic centers in large cities. Can someone provide some info on how starting salaries for these academic roles in large cities compare to the high salaries often seen for neurointesivists in private practice?

400-450 depending if you're on production and how busy your are, from what I've heard.

• Wow
Learn to bill and code correctly right off the bat in your first year if practice. If you don’t have an exam template that matches the bullets on the 95 or 97 Medicare Neuro exam requirements and if you don’t understand the difference between low - med - high complexity cases you’ll get absolutely eaten alive in practice.

Learn to bill and code correctly right off the bat in your first year if practice. If you don’t have an exam template that matches the bullets on the 95 or 97 Medicare Neuro exam requirements and if you don’t understand the difference between low - med - high complexity cases you’ll get absolutely eaten alive in practice.

Do you have advice on how one can learn this most effectively? From what I have seen it is mostly learning from others on the job and picking up things here and there.

Do you have advice on how one can learn this most effectively? From what I have seen it is mostly learning from others on the job and picking up things here and there.

AAN has e/m templates on their website that clearly illustrate how to determine low, med, or high complexity medical decision making.

Good discussion. But I wonder what the AAN will produce to help e/m templates now that documentation requirements are changes big time January 2021.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic salaries drag the average down. Most neurologists can expect around 300k nowadays.

Neurology seems too kush. Hopefully it stays that way for a while. 4-4.5 day work week, pulling in 300K+ and more depending where you live. Often times, without call or weekends. Option to obviously earn way more through fellowships and work like a dog if you want also.

Neurology seems too kush. Hopefully it stays that way for a while. 4-4.5 day work week, pulling in 300K+ and more depending where you live. Often times, without call or weekends. Option to obviously earn way more through fellowships and work like a dog if you want also.

lol

Am I wrong? I thought this was standard. I've seen fully outpatient jobs guaranteeing salaries in the 300s with call paid if you want... obviously not in NYC or anything like that, though.

Am I wrong? I thought this was standard. I've seen fully outpatient jobs guaranteeing salaries in the 300s with call paid if you want... obviously not in NYC or anything like that, though.

To answer your question - I'm currently on the job hunt now, and I would say most jobs start at around 350k starting, with a potential for a lot more than that depending on what you do or how hard you want to work.

To answer your question - I'm currently on the job hunt now, and I would say most jobs start at around 350k starting, with a potential for a lot more than that depending on what you do or how hard you want to work.
4 days of work?

My attendings have mentioned things close to that for 4.5 days of work with great hours and very slow call responsibilities. small town midwest though
In my location, large West metropolitan area, pay is 300k for 4.5 days of outpatient work. Not Derm or Ophtho money, but not bad imo.

In my location, large West metropolitan area, pay is 300k for 4.5 days of outpatient work. Not Derm or Ophtho money, but not bad imo.
General Neuro? How many patient per day? There is an IM doc, I think his name is InvestingDoc or something like that who has a blog about starting his own practice. How viable do you think this is in Neuro given the demand and the fact that it's specialty care?

General Neuro? How many patient per day? There is an IM doc, I think his name is InvestingDoc or something like that who has a blog about starting his own practice. How viable do you think this is in Neuro given the demand and the fact that it's specialty care?
General neuro (neurophys trained). About 18 a day. It’s very feasible for a neurologist to start their own practice. The overhead costs aren’t nearly as bad as it is in other fields (optho, cardio, etc). However solo practice is becoming a dying breed not only in neurology but in medicine in general. This is mainly due to insurance rate negotiation power (group vs solo) and lifestyle concerns (newer generations value their time off a lot more than independence).

Reactions: 3 users
Here in central Florida I have seen starting FT salaries for recent grads ranging from $375-450K with potential for more depending on call responsibilities and procedural skills. Academic centers will be lower but appear to be catching on to the fact that there is substantial lost talent and attrition due to salary disparities; the administration at my institution's department recently met to discuss this and create a "strategic plan" to retain talent that will include new signing bonuses and salary increases.

Here in central Florida I have seen starting FT salaries for recent grads ranging from $375-450K with potential for more depending on call responsibilities and procedural skills. Academic centers will be lower but appear to be catching on to the fact that there is substantial lost talent and attrition due to salary disparities; the administration at my institution's department recently met to discuss this and create a "strategic plan" to retain talent that will include new signing bonuses and salary increases.

what is FT? 40 hours?

Can confirm this is accurate as this is basically my job.

Where are these jobs? I'm in a large midwest metropolitan city. When was I was job searching in late 2018, only suburban areas offered these salary ranges but were always with calls and weekends.