• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

neurochica

10+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Out of curiousity Neurochica, who do you contact to discuss work directly? Most of the locums gigs have been looking--as you've said--to use the locums as a way to hire a permanent candidate--how do you bypass this objection?

Many thanks for your input thus far--it's really nice to see someone getting their worth from admin.
I talk to the person who is doing the hiring. Because they are looking for permanent docs, you need to be able to communicate to them that you are a solution to their problem.
Once You are in the door, they rather pay a premium to a known commodity than risk having a really bad doc so they’ll keep calling.

Reactions: Deadshot

MedScat

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Status
Medical Student
so I see a lot of awesome salary stories which is great but, what's the norm? some places i see 230k some places i see 300k. I'm trying to decide what to do with my life and although compensation is not huge deciding factor, I just finished my neuro rotation and absolutely loved it and am hoping to get more knowledge

Reactions: AquaticSunrise13

Chibucks15

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
so I see a lot of awesome salary stories which is great but, what's the norm? some places i see 230k some places i see 300k. I'm trying to decide what to do with my life and although compensation is not huge deciding factor, I just finished my neuro rotation and absolutely loved it and am hoping to get more knowledge
I think largely depends on location, practice type, and fellowship (for procedures and stuff). But always would love more info on this as well as an applicant this year

About the Ads

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
Where the past and the future intersect
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Surveys say high 200s but anecdotally I see low 300s.

If you loved neuro then you should go for it. You’ll always make good money. Better money than primary care, hospitalists and nonprocedural IM specialties.

GuillainMollaret

2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
High 200s to low 300s for base compensation with productivity incentives to get beyond that is what I saw most commonly during my job search. There will be outliers in either direction. Lots of places with generous sign on bonuses as well (25 to 50k) although this was pre-covid.

Bottom line: if you love neuro then do it. The job market is one of the best in medicine.

Reactions: Osteoth

futureSuperStar

2+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Does anybody have knowledge of starting salaries in neurocritical care?

I tend to see high salaries for Neuro ICU jobs in private practice. However, many jobs are at academic centers in large cities. Can someone provide some info on how starting salaries for these academic roles in large cities compare to the high salaries often seen for neurointesivists in private practice?

About the Ads