Neurology compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reviving this thread for those currently in the job market. Current PGY3 looking to go into neurohospitalist career. I am originally from the suburbs of Chicago and am looking to return following residency. How soon should I be looking for jobs? What is the best way to go about searching and connecting with practices? What range of salary/benefits should I be looking for? Any other advice from those who have recently one through the process would be very helpful! Thank you!

This thread and few other similar ones have had discussions, that are quite uptodate. Will be happy to answer any specific questions that you might have.

-Start looking about 12 months before graduation. May be bit prior if FMG.

-Easiest way is Recruiting companies. Saves you a lot of basic screening. Although if you have a general idea of the location, just cold calling the hospitals or talking to your past graduates/attendings who are doing the same gigs might work. Especially since more desirable jobs usually don't come through recruiters.

- Range is 250-350 for a moderately busy 7on-7off inpatient.

- Other than the usual stuff that you can find anywhere apt a job (No. of patients, EMR, Colleagues, Admin, Support staff and facilities, location, salary etc); one thing that might be very helpful is not being a primary admitting service. try to be a consult only. Also a place where you don't have to go in for every stroke/tpa or Seizure etc.

Members don't see this ad.

^^^^ what he said.

I'll echo the consult only service. That makes your life that much easier. Also the ability to do telestroke after hours is important. Going in physically for every stroke will get very taxing, especially nowadays where every neuro symptom <24 hours old is called a stroke from the get-go.

Make sure if it's a busy place that you have 12 hour shifts (I.E. night coverage) otherwise it will be a miserable 7 days. If it's not too busy then this point isn't as important.

What is the typical housing solution for your gigs?

I usually rent a luxury condo, especially in the summer months. During the last two years i negotiated a $3k housing stipend in addition to my daily work rate.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
neurochica,
Thanks for sharing your great experience, I am glad you are able to negotiate directly with the hospitals and keep other middlemen out of the loop. I always feel that "home calls" a little sketchy, e.g. "benign vertigo" may become basilar artery occlusion and locked-in syndrome next morning and "encephalopathic patient" may turn out to be a stroke or meningitis. Most ER docs would call you to reduce their own liability. Most of the time you get a very superficial or unreliable exam from ER physicians or hospitalists on the phone, so liability becomes very significant unless you practice in very low liability states. E.g. how many ER physicians can reliably perform HINT exam? With extended 24 hours of endovascular stroke window, patients would require even more comprehensive evaluation with CT perfusion/CTA head and neck. Just wanted to hear your comments on those issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally if I am taking home call and taking phone calls from E.D. docs I just practice more conservatively and CYA. If that vertigo patient is young and had recent trauma I'd get CTAs for example. If that same vertigo patient is older and has vascular risk factors I'd admit for an MRI.

It's true that they call you to reduce their own liability. It's also my preference to drop a small note on the chart of every phone call I get. "Called by Dr So and so for XYZ, on exam by Dr So and so findings are ABC....etc etc". The reason I do this is often times a phone call can be taken out of context. Example I recently had a patient who I recommended transfer to my hospital, and I later learned that he was just discharged home with PCP followup. I had a conversation with the E.D. doc. I don't know what he/she documented, but they could've easily said "neuro recommends outpatient followup" and done whatever they wanted. There's a note in the chart saying I recommended transfer, however.

Telamir,
Your set up is perfectly fine, and a lot of neurologists practice this way. However, let me just play a devil's advocate here solely for educational purposes. I want to make a disclaimer that I am not a lawyer and not giving legal advice.
First of all, let's finish the case described above. You admitted the patient for MRI and MRI showed cerebellar and brain stem infarction. Now what?
We all know about malpractice lawsuit criteria: duties, breach of duties, causation, damages. So, by taking phone calls a physician has duties.
Now, we need to discuss what would be a standard of care in such case. If the patient presented within 4.5 the standard of care would be to administer tPA and not to admit for MRI, if tPA was not given and MRI shows acute ischemic stroke, you are on the very shaky ground. Furthermore, 2018 has completely changed how neurology practice. Before 2018 if you get called and the patient is beyond 4.5 hr window, you are pretty much safe. However, after 2018 the stroke window is 24 hrs. It means significantly increased inpatient call burden for neurology.
Now, you can argue that you can order CTA and CT perfusion. How about the cases with acute or chronic renal failure? Are you going to make this call without seeing the patient, examining the patient and discussing the risk of IV contrast? Now, what if CTA is not-conclusive or shows some moderate stenosis here and there, you still need to correlate those findings with your exam to determine if those findings are symptomatic. What if the patient has a pacemaker and you cannot get MRI? What if MRI is not available after hours? What if this is not a stroke, but a myasthenic crisis? Or epidural abscess? Epileptic vs non-epileptic status? GBS vs cord compression? Migraine vs SAH or cerebral sinus thrombosis?
Now, even if you made the diagnosis, but there was a delay in care, you may get in trouble again.
Don't get me wrong, most of the neurologists taking phone calls will be fine in 9/10 cases, however, you need only one case to change your life significantly. Furthermore, if such case goes to a court, it will be presented in the way that you did not care to come to the hospital to examine the patient if you had any doubt in diagnosis. I am not sure if you can protect yourself by saying the ER physician gave you a pretty crappy exam, but it is very unlikely.
Realistically speaking, we all know it is impossible to come in for all those calls. However, you will be judged by people who do not know about all the burden of being on call for 24 hours.

neurochica,
Thanks for sharing your great experience, I am glad you are able to negotiate directly with the hospitals and keep other middlemen out of the loop. I always feel that "home calls" a little sketchy, e.g. "benign vertigo" may become basilar artery occlusion and locked-in syndrome next morning and "encephalopathic patient" may turn out to be a stroke or meningitis. Most ER docs would call you to reduce their own liability. Most of the time you get a very superficial or unreliable exam from ER physicians or hospitalists on the phone, so liability becomes very significant unless you practice in very low liability states. E.g. how many ER physicians can reliably perform HINT exam? With extended 24 hours of endovascular stroke window, patients would require even more comprehensive evaluation with CT perfusion/CTA head and neck. Just wanted to hear your comments on those issues.
You hit it right on the money!

I am a very conservative neurologist, open minded and aggressive when going after pathology when I need to be.

When I first start a gig, I’ll go in for anything. It is my license and I only trust myself. However, I get to know the ER folks and learn who is good and who is not and thus this determine whether I go in or not. I have met some ER docs who are way better than neurologist who are on call once a month.

The reality for me is that I only work 16-20 weeks a year and thus I work hard when I am on…..in fact, I am on call 24/7 for 16 weeks straight. The first few weeks are harder as I am getting to know who is good, training nurses when to page (hate the 2am call for meds) etc-- and I am ok going in whenever I need too. However, when the 16 weeks are up, I get to go home and take 8 months off, so its easier to swallow for me, as a locum doc. Harder to maintain for a full time doc.

The scenarios you presented are real and encountered every day in the life of an inpatient neurologist. From early on, I learned to document EVERYTHING. I cant tell you how many times my notes saved my ass from accusations from nurses, ER, IM, Cards etc. I am very DILIGENT with my notes. I have always pride myself of providing world class neurology and my reputation is all I have….I work hard in maintaining it with documentation.

Reactions: 2 users
Neurochica, thanks again for sharing your experience. I am really impressed with your set up. I am happy to see there are docs who can fight the system and get the lifestyle they want and deserve. I have many friends who left their first job because of too much pressure from the administration. Usually, it starts gradually, then they try to push more and more work on you for the same salary. But we are highly educated professionals and should know our value. I am pretty much like you, can do anything, stroke, vascular, EMG/EEG, clinic, MS, etc, so thinking about switching to locums, maybe will start with agencies. The most concerning part for me is getting privileges in multiple hospitals, licences in multiple states, etc. It is kind of PITA.
Please keep posting here. Your posts are very inspiring. Good luck!

Last edited:
Neurochica, thanks again for sharing your experience. I am really impressed with your set up. I am happy to see there are docs who can fight the system and get the lifestyle they want and deserve. I have many friends who left their first job because of too much pressure from the administration. Usually, it starts gradually, then they try to push more and more work on you for the same salary. But we are highly educated professionals and should know our value. I am pretty much like you, can do anything, stroke, vascular, EMG/EEG, clinic, MS, etc, so thinking about switching to locums, maybe will start with agencies. The most concerning part for me is getting privileges in multiple hospitals, licences in multiple states, etc. It is kind of PITA.
Please keep posting here. Your posts are very inspiring. Good luck!
Exactly, it always start with something….more meetings, more research and all of the sudden you are the medical student clerkship director and asking yourself how did I get here? More work with more responsibility and less pay. I DO NOT miss that hospital rat race at all.

Doing locum work should be a lot easier now with IMLC. It took 3 DAYS to get licenses in AZ, WA, CO. Days, not weeks or months, DAYS.

Create a credentialing file/folder. I have 1 folder that has all my licenses, previous hospital information etc. I email that one file to the hospital that I am currently credentialing, and usually, they send back the application for me to signed…..painless. I have credentialed in 1 month do being prepared. Organization is key!

Or you can hire your wife, pay her benefits or talk to your accountant how to maximize her. Make sure you have a good business plan. Some hospital will not deal directly with you, per their policy, but will work directly with your company. Create a corp.

You can easily start locums with agencies at $2600 a day, $18k a week. Stick to your guns and don’t accept anything less.

Reactions: 4 users
neurochica,
Great plan! Thanks again! Very smart move with corp, definitely can save a lot on taxes! Lots of people are making money on us, recruiters, hospitals, managers, etc. Your set up is very efficient!

Telamir,
Your set up is perfectly fine, and a lot of neurologists practice this way. However, let me just play a devil's advocate here solely for educational purposes. I want to make a disclaimer that I am not a lawyer and not giving legal advice.
First of all, let's finish the case described above. You admitted the patient for MRI and MRI showed cerebellar and brain stem infarction. Now what?
We all know about malpractice lawsuit criteria: duties, breach of duties, causation, damages. So, by taking phone calls a physician has duties.
Now, we need to discuss what would be a standard of care in such case. If the patient presented within 4.5 the standard of care would be to administer tPA and not to admit for MRI, if tPA was not given and MRI shows acute ischemic stroke, you are on the very shaky ground. Furthermore, 2018 has completely changed how neurology practice. Before 2018 if you get called and the patient is beyond 4.5 hr window, you are pretty much safe. However, after 2018 the stroke window is 24 hrs. It means significantly increased inpatient call burden for neurology.
Now, you can argue that you can order CTA and CT perfusion. How about the cases with acute or chronic renal failure? Are you going to make this call without seeing the patient, examining the patient and discussing the risk of IV contrast? Now, what if CTA is not-conclusive or shows some moderate stenosis here and there, you still need to correlate those findings with your exam to determine if those findings are symptomatic. What if the patient has a pacemaker and you cannot get MRI? What if MRI is not available after hours? What if this is not a stroke, but a myasthenic crisis? Or epidural abscess? Epileptic vs non-epileptic status? GBS vs cord compression? Migraine vs SAH or cerebral sinus thrombosis?
Now, even if you made the diagnosis, but there was a delay in care, you may get in trouble again.
Don't get me wrong, most of the neurologists taking phone calls will be fine in 9/10 cases, however, you need only one case to change your life significantly. Furthermore, if such case goes to a court, it will be presented in the way that you did not care to come to the hospital to examine the patient if you had any doubt in diagnosis. I am not sure if you can protect yourself by saying the ER physician gave you a pretty crappy exam, but it is very unlikely.
Realistically speaking, we all know it is impossible to come in for all those calls. However, you will be judged by people who do not know about all the burden of being on call for 24 hours.

The sword of lawsuits is always hanging on every doctors neck. Its a necessary evil, I believe.
Just sharing this here as Information and may be some helpful tips.

@neurochica do you travel with your family when on locums assignments, or do they have a separate home base? Do you ever get tired of moving around so much or not being able to see family for weeks (if they don't travel with you)?

@neurochica do you travel with your family when on locums assignments, or do they have a separate home base? Do you ever get tired of moving around so much or not being able to see family for weeks (if they don't travel with you)?

I only work, travel, when kids are not in school Ie summer, spring break etc. This is the only way it works for me. Essentially it’s a vacation for them everytime I work.
I have a home and my husband and kids go with me when ever i work. I leaned to maximize my earnings, lately in the $3600-$4800 a day range, so mostly I work around 100 days in the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only work, travel, when kids are not in school Ie summer, spring break etc. This is the only way it works for me. Essentially it’s a vacation for them everytime I work.
I have a home and my husband and kids go with me when ever i work. I leaned to maximize my earnings, lately in the $3600-$4800 a day range, so mostly I work around 100 days in the summer.
I’m counting the days...

You would be a good swimmer, your efficiency and drag minimizing skills are very impressive lol

You would be a good swimmer, your efficiency and drag minimizing skills are very impressive lol
I was actually a decent swimmer back in High school and college. I’ll be honest, it’s been easier to master the business of medicine than swimming 3 miles everyday. Business is booming!

What is the typical housing solution for your gigs?
Sorry I missed this question. I rent a luxury condo and live it up. I been able to get a travel stipend of about $3k a month in addition to my daily rate. I also have a nice motor home that we take on shorter trips-I get to keep most of the stipend when i take the rig.

Neuro Chica, how often will hospitals balk at working with you and insist on finding their locums through an agency instead?

Neuro Chica, how often will hospitals balk at working with you and insist on finding their locums through an agency instead?

this is an interested question because the MAJORITY of the time, they prefer working with me than through an agency.

just today, a local hospital called and offered to pay me about $750 more a day if I work directly with them as opposed through a recruiter. A few years back a teaching hospital in Seattle declined an offer though a recruiter of $2250 a day only to call back an offered $3350 a day plus $2000 a month housing stipend ( I think the stipend was higher because I remember the hospital insisting paying for travel.

the only time I had a problem was when an agency presented me and the hospital had policy that no other agency could present me there for 2 years. I waited 2 years and called back!

I agree with neurochica as I am currently looking around for jobs and not surprisingly there is an extreme shortage of neurologists throughout the country and hundreds of hospitals just outside of big cities don't have coverage. I have been offered 325k- 350k for 7 on and 7 off with sign on and PTO and benefits from several places. And the workload is easily manageable. You can work extra shifts in your offtimes and make more.
Can you tell where are these places? I am working in NE, no weekend calls and all OP. Compensation is 300K.

Can you tell where are these places? I am working in NE, no weekend calls and all OP. Compensation is 300K.

That sounds like a good deal, esp if in a good city. Jobs in midwest and southeast could pay slightly more. Usually these are outside of big cities.
Outpatient jobs usually have more potential than inpatient as you can see more patients. I had a pp outpatient job offer recently in eastern Washington state that was 500K. Also jobs in Texas, North Dakota are higher. If you are seriously looking, post your CV on one of the recruiting websites and mention what salary range you are looking for. You’ll probably get flooded with offers.

Reactions: 1 users
That sounds like a good deal, esp if in a good city. Jobs in midwest and southeast could pay slightly more. Usually these are outside of big cities.
Outpatient jobs usually have more potential than inpatient as you can see more patients. I had a pp outpatient job offer recently in eastern Washington state that was 500K. Also jobs in Texas, North Dakota are higher. If you are seriously looking, post your CV on one of the recruiting websites and mention what salary range you are looking for. You’ll probably get flooded with offers.
it is in a very small city but close to big center like DC is 2 hours away

A resident senior to me recently accepted an offer at a multidisciplinary outpatient practice in Florida with a base compensation of $550K right out of residency; she carries the pager to field outpatient questions every other weekend and holidays. No inpatient call. Know your worth.

• Wow
A resident senior to me recently accepted an offer at a multidisciplinary outpatient practice in Florida with a base compensation of $550K right out of residency; she carries the pager to field outpatient questions every other weekend and holidays. No inpatient call. Know your worth.
that is insane. Can you inbox me the details. thanks

Even if paid 1000 a day to cover every other weekend/holiday, this person is making 450k+ to do outpatient only. Hopefully they’re not seeing 40 pts a day to generate that

Even if paid 1000 a day to cover every other weekend/holiday, this person is making 450k+ to do outpatient only. Hopefully they’re not seeing 40 pts a day to generate that

Thats not unheard of. Many outpatient practices are paying that kind of money. Probably more as partners, I got an email yesterday about 500K guaranteed for 2 years, then 800k as partner. Usually these practices have their own labs and neurodiagnostic and sleep labs. Sometimes MRI machines. In fact one local neurologist in my town dictates his own imaging too.

You don't need to see that many patients, it depends on the location and their deal with insurance companies.
Many practices have their own rates for seeing patients, the rates that we hear about are Medicare only. For comparison, in my hospital, they charge $550 for a new Level 5 patient from private insurance, medicare for the same would be about $200. Inpatient is much worse.

That is one reason why medicare for all will destroy a lot of practices, because those rates cannot work.

Reactions: 2 users
Thats not unheard of. Many outpatient practices are paying that kind of money. Probably more as partners, I got an email yesterday about 500K guaranteed for 2 years, then 800k as partner. Usually these practices have their own labs and neurodiagnostic and sleep labs. Sometimes MRI machines. In fact one local neurologist in my town dictates his own imaging too.

You don't need to see that many patients, it depends on the location and their deal with insurance companies.
Many practices have their own rates for seeing patients, the rates that we hear about are Medicare only. For comparison, in my hospital, they charge $550 for a new Level 5 patient from private insurance, medicare for the same would be about $200. Inpatient is much worse.

That is one reason why medicare for all will destroy a lot of practices, because those rates cannot work.
Wow good to know. Guess I’ve got a lot to learn about the business of medicine...eventually. For now, I need to learn how to manage patients with ICH who also have intracardiac thrombus and refractory SE.

I wonder why I never receive any offers like that

Neurologists make more than psychiatrists, general practitioners, and pediatricians on average, and in most cases as well. Most don't make under 250,000 annually unless they're in a strictly academic setting. There might be slightly less flexibility in patient volume compared to psychiatry, however most neurologists I've associated with are pulling in 300,000 a year easily. Making above that amount will be difficult if you aren't willing to work surgeon hours. Plus, as a specialist, you will have considerably more prestige than those in family medicine. Brain doctors are often highly revered as intelligent and I personally view neurology like the engineering of medicine - the most intellectually challenging specialty.

great points. many of us have wack notions of what is considered fair salary as we have trained in academic hospitals (like my residency in Florida) in which the departments continue to pinch pennies and hours out of already over-worked and under-paid neurologists. it's therefore not surprising to see so many of my seniors taking offers outside of academia, where we are an extremely limited and sought after resource, as we can add tremendous value. I believe we are at a tipping point though where academic salaries will have to rise to retain top talent, when outside offers are often 4-5x what one might earn in an academic setting. Even fields such as neuro-ICU, EEG, EMG are getting hit hard by this income disparity.

The number to pay attention to is compensation to work RVU ratio if your compensation is production based (either pure or w/ production bonus on top of base). That number should ideally be around 60 or higher imo.

In an employed setup, which most jobs are these days, high 200s to low 300s seems to be a pretty typical base salary. With production based bonuses on top of that, it's not implausible to get into the mid or high 300s or even low 400s depending on how hard/efficient you work. On the other hand, if you're not producing as expected, that base can usually be adjusted downward after 1 to 2 years. This would be for an outpatient position. Neurohospitalists seem to have a higher floor with a lower ceiling comparatively.

That above post of 550k for a fresh grad seems crazy. I'm not doubting it's true, but it's an outlier and I do wonder how they get to that number and what the catch is.

No permanent placement. However, my contracts are for 1 year. After 1 year, I find another 1 yer contract.
How is this different from a one year contract as a neurohospitalist? Is it that your locums contract requires you to work a minimum number of weeks and you have the flexibility to work additional weeks? And that you are 1099 instead of employed? Wouldn't a hospital prefer to have you employed rather than as an independent contractor?

Also working 24/7 for 16 weeks sounds rough. How much volume do you get? How often are you coming in for emergencies? Has this picked up with extended tPA window? I imagine this might work better at a smaller community hospital than a tertiary center.

Are you reading cEEGs or rEEGs? Do most of these inpatient locums gigs require that? I'm finishing up a neuromuscular fellowship and that's outside of my comfort zone.

Why have them pay for your malpractice? (Because they can get a better rate than you as an individual?) Rather than pay you more in salary and you deduct it on the 1099?

Last edited:
I set up a contracts for the amount of weeks and specific dates I want to work. For me, I like to work trough the summer as I can take my family with me ( 120 straight days). The last few years I been able to negotiate an Open ended contract where I can come in and work whatever days I want. This is a hospital neurology group.... group members are older and hate doing inpatient work. This is indeed a 1099. Of course they would rather have me be employed, they have offer me a full time job every time I am there. However, per hospital bylaws, Human Resources can only offer me up to $450k as a full time employee... I am making $600k working 17 weeks. This group has had 3 bad hires the last 5 years, they say I am a known commodity and willing to pay for this.

Volume really depends on location- I been in places where I see 2 patients per day and others 16 or more. Somewhere in the middle is the average. I usually work 8-5.... I am on pager call. I can count the number of times I have had to come in after hours. Weekends I round and go home usually in 2 hours. By nature, I am a paranoid neurologist, I work slow and methodically and never leave a stone un-turned. I will stay however long to do right by the patient and hospital.

I do read eegs. I don’t do emgs. You don’t need to however. It has never been a A deal breaker. I am Always upfront about this. I read 95% of eegs...the really complicated ones I pass on to the person in the group who reads them. At the end, it comes down to what ever you are comfortable with. I trained in a program ranked number 1 in neuro-ophthalmology- I feel comfortable treating CRAO with thrombolytics while other neurologists wouldn’t touch this because it’s not in the guidelines. Again, it’s not a deal breaker.

I like for them to pay for malpractice for 3 reasons: 1.it only takes them a push of a button to add me to their policy. 2. they always provide tail. 3. I dont like going back and forth negotiating over a few thousand dollars. There's been a number of occasions where hospital policy mandates that I get my own. In this case, i just have the hospital cover the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This is a hospital neurology group.... group members are older and hate doing inpatient work. ... Human Resources can only offer me up to $450k as a full time employee... I am making $600k working 17 weeks.

Pardon my ignorance. By "hospital neurology groups", do you mean an independent/private group practice that takes ED/inpatient consults/call at a local hospital? or a group that is directly employed by the hospital? My plan had been to cold call HR at hospitals and contract directly with them. Should I be seeking out hospital neurology groups? or local practices that don't yet have a neurohospitalist covering for their admitted practice patients and inpatient consults?

I also imagine you had a lawyer review your contract?

Thanks!

Both. Yes, I have an attorney/cpa team that helps review and draft contracts.

I just finished a 2 week assignment and earned $67,494. Wanted to buy my husband a car for our 20th year anniversary. Was not scheduled to work until May, but this is a special occasion.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I just finished a 2 week assignment and earned $67,494. Wanted to buy my husband a car for our 20th year anniversary. Was not scheduled to work until May, but this is a special occasion.
You're killing it. Thanks for showing us what is possible.

I don’t understand how you’re making essentially 1.65 million dollars a year as a neurologist when the average salary is 300k lol..you’re making more than 5 neurologists combined!!

I don’t understand how you’re making essentially 1.65 million dollars a year as a neurologist when the average salary is 300k lol..you’re making more than 5 neurologists combined!!
maybe endovascular

I work as a neurohospitalist and I have been for the last 5 years in California. I had been working with a group who had the contract with the hospital for 24/7 Neurology coverage including Stroke call and I had a separate subcontract with the group. Unfortunately, we lost the contract this year. My question to you all is if any of you have dealt directly with the hospital and any advice you have on how to approach hospitals in general and who should be the one to approach exactly. I am going to start cold calling hospitals in the area and offer my services but the area I am in has a high population of unfavorable insurance and homeless so a stipend has been needed in the past to make it worthwhile. If any of you have done this is there any things to look out for, things to ask for, done in person/email/ or phone ? I’ve never done this before this is all new to me and obviously in residency you don’t get training for this and the groups that I’m with keep Many of these aspects confidential. Thank you very much and I appreciate you reading the posts on this thread they have been very informative.

Medi-cal stinks. Rate is like 30% of Medicare.
Despite that, I hear neurologists are paid well in CA. Maybe due to the subsidy like you said

Out of curiousity Neurochica, who do you contact to discuss work directly? Most of the locums gigs have been looking--as you've said--to use the locums as a way to hire a permanent candidate--how do you bypass this objection?

Many thanks for your input thus far--it's really nice to see someone getting their worth from admin.