Neurology fellowships

Started by pcguy2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pcguy2

Minneapolis Master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just trying to get a general sense of neurology. Was readying the FAQ and saw that there was a giant list of fellowships. Can anyone give me an idea of some of the more procedure heavy/light fellowships available? I assume stroke would be light on procedures right?

Thanks
 
Go Gophers! :clap:

I suppose that stroke could be a procedure light specialty, but the fellowship itself typically includes a good deal of neuro-ICU work. On the other hand, you could do a stroke fellowship, follow it with Neuro-IR, and end up a catheter jockey.

One could argue that sleep medicine and Neuromuscular/EMG are the only really procedure intense subspecialties.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NeuroICU is procedure-heavy. Intubations, bronchoscopy, central lines, a-lines, bolts, EVDs (depending on the program), thoracentesis, paracentesis, needle thoracostomy, etc.

A lot of this is program dependent, but at least in our neuroICU, our fellows do it all.
 
DOes anyone know anything about movement disorders fellowship? I've read that you are in the OR doing brain mapping when they do deep brain stimulation for parkison patients. What exactly does that mean?