Neurology friendly NIR fellowship programs list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GhostOfCharcott

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who is willing to share a list of neurology friendly NIR fellowship program list or where to look for?

Members don't see this ad.

Somewhat in order:

UCLA
Emory
UPMC
Cleveland
UMiami
UMinnesota
JFK (4 years)
Henry Ford

And then somewhat newer programs:
UMass
UMaryland
Cooper
Prisma Health

My list is limited to places I interviewed at for residency (and where people from those places landed in in terms of NIR fellowships).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Add

SLU
USF
Michigan State

to the above.

UPMC, UMiami being particularly good choices with significant neurology dept ownership of the cath lab, esp UPMC. These days if one does a neurocritical care fellowship at a decent place and has NIR letters from someone I'd think the radiology and nsgy run programs would still look at a neurology applicant, it seems a bit more standardized and multidisciplinary than it used to be 5-10 years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Add

SLU
USF
Michigan State

to the above.

UPMC, UMiami being particularly good choices with significant neurology dept ownership of the cath lab, esp UPMC. These days if one does a neurocritical care fellowship at a decent place and has NIR letters from someone I'd think the radiology and nsgy run programs would still look at a neurology applicant, it seems a bit more standardized and multidisciplinary than it used to be 5-10 years ago.
Yes, UPMC was phenomenal and in terms of thrombectomies done per year is insanely good, but they did lose both Jovin and Jadhav in the last two years, so they are slightly weaker now (but still incredible). USF PD is neurosurgery based and while their first two fellows are neurology trained, I’m not sure if it will continue to be the case.

I agree with NIR becoming more friendly to neurologists than in the past

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, UPMC was phenomenal and in terms of thrombectomies done per year is insanely good, but they did lose both Jovin and Jadhav in the last two years, so they are slightly weaker now (but still incredible). USF PD is neurosurgery based and while their first two fellows are neurology trained, I’m not sure if it will continue to be the case.

I agree with NIR becoming more friendly to neurologists than in the past
UPMC just landed Nogueira so they're still a great NIR program.

Appreciate all the valuable info. Any lists out there for a combined track( NCC+NIR) only fellowship positions. Googling every program’s site seems inefficient way to go about it.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the valuable info. Any lists out there for a combined track( NCC+NIR) only fellowship positions. Googling every program’s site seems inefficient way to go about it.
Only JFK has NCC+NIR combined track out of the above. Ofcourse with any program you can separately do them, but combined tracks are rare. In terms of Stroke+NIR combined track UMinnesota has an ACGME accredited one. Most programs don’t have combined tracks on paper, but in practice people do tend to get both sets of fellowships at the same place.

MCW has both NCC and NIR, usual path is to stay all the way through. They like to keep their people

MCW has both NCC and NIR, usual path is to stay all the way through. They like to keep their people
Program can also be completed as 4+3 as well instead of 4+2+2 from NCC to NIR which is probably why people stay from PGY-1 to 7.