Neurology residencies in Southeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rotenone

Neurologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since many candidates tend to focus their interview efforts on a particular area of the U.S., how about discussing the best neurology residencies in a particular region? Let's try the Southeast (SE).

We'll include the following states:
Kentucky
Virginia
Tennessee
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi

What are the best neurology residencies in the SE, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Jefferson Memorial, U Miami
UAB, Alabam
Vanderbilt
MUSC
U Virginia
Emory
Duke
UNC (I have to add that Dr Cushing after you pointed it out, it is certainly good but may not be top of the line)
U Louisville-so so, small program with no ACGME fellowships

These are not in order, but U Miami, UAB, Emory & U Virginia are considered top of the line.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the above post

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson Memorial, U Miami
UAB, Alabam
Vanderbilt
MUSC
U Virginia
Emory
U Louisville-so so, small program with no ACGME fellowships

These are not in order, but U Miami, UAB, Emory & U Virginia are considered top of the line.

What about UNC? I keep hearing good things about the program. Anyone know if it is a program worth checking out?

When you look at the Southeast, geographically ranging from Miami to D.C. area to Lousiana there are about 30 to 40 programs that come up on FREIDA. I am currently trying to figure out how many and which of these programs to apply to. I always see Duke, Emory, UVA, Miami, Vandy, UAB, UNC (up and coming), Kentucky (up and coming) mentioned as respected programs. How about Florida (UF, USF, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo)? Also, what about The D.C. area programs and Lousiana programs...??? Don't seem to see that many posts about these places. Any help getting conversation started would be helpful. For those who have matched in the S.E. how many programs should one apply to and how many interviews favor a positive result on Match day???

No one person really knows all of the programs in the southeast. I would not have included the D.C. area, which I feel are more appropriately grouped with the east coast programs.

We could include Louisiana, though.

What I was hoping from this thread was that individuals would tell the forum about a particular program or two that they really know well--insider information if they have it. Every program has its strengths and weaknesses. I think that particularly useful info would be things like " this program has a strong stroke program," or "no expertise in multiple sclerosis," or "most of their graduates end up in academia."

So, pick a program you know really well and tell us about it in detail. Let's make this useful but obviously nothing libelous. Remember, what one person thinks is a strength or weakness might not be perceived as such by someone else.

Let's also not discuss the cities too much, keeping emphasis on the programs.

after a month rotation on neuro at Miami/Jackson, i was really impressed with the program. i think most specialties were strong (they just recruited tons of faculty from columbia, cornell, harvard, nih etc). especially stroke (dr. sacco is the new president of the american heart association), critical care, general neurology (dr. adams was an amazing teaching and did live patient bedside teaching each week), neruomuscular (dr. bradley), EEG, sleep, movement disorders, alzheimers etc. the faculty and residents all seemed pretty laid back. the program just grew so the call schedule isnt heavy (as students we take call once a week til 9 pm). The residents are really cool, easy going and are all happy. I think many go into academics but im not sure. I dont have any insider information, but the website is pretty informative and I would suggest rotating there (conferences and teaching were great, weekends off). i applied through VSAS.

I am currently a neuro prelim at UF - Gainesville. I did my med school at university of Rochester. My wife is from Fl, and i was done with the cold in Rochester so i applied to 3 programs in Fl - which from my research were the best 3 ( UF-Gainesville, Mayo-Jax, and Miami).

From my experience UF was the best, and i ranked it first. I liked it because of the excellent faculty like Dr Heilman (father of behav neurology). It was also "non-malignant" imho, and they were starting a night float.

Mayo jax was pretty cool. They had an outpatient focused program (unique), but had only 3 residents/year, with q3 call for 3years which was a a big no no for me. I also felt a lack of diversity at Mayo jax.

Miami: my opinion- a very busy program (10 residents a year). Big hispanic population, so u need to know spanish (otherwise everyone will seem like wernikes aphasia :) and i am not abig city guy (traffic, bad driving...)

all the best to y'all enjoy 4th yr!!!

How about some more posts to this thread?

Which is the best out of these three: Duke, Vanderbilt, UVA?
I liked all three programs and they had a similar feel, so I think it would come down to strength of program and reputation.

I think Duke and Vanderbilt benefit a lot from the prestige associated with their name. I know their undergrad, med school, and internal medicine programs are strong. However, I wonder if their neurology programs are just as good, or just riding on that prestige factor.

Merry Christmas, everyone! Even the holidays couldn't keep me away from SDN :D

I was wondering if anyone cares to expand on this old topic. Currently considering Neurology and would love to hear more about the Florida programs.

I would definitely love to know more about the Southeastern programs too! My wife and I are hoping to get back down to the South again. . .thanks for resurrecting this thread!