Neurology residencies--unfilled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

interventional

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it is techically "illegal" to post the list of unfilled residencies per the NRMP

In addition to the NYC shocker listed in the ROL thread, there are spots available in the midatlantic, midwest,cali, florida and texas..hopefully this isnt deleted lol.

Total no of programs unfilled: 10

Members don't see this ad.

The total number of unfilled positions in Match 2010 was 22, so Neurology in fact may have become more competitive or programs and applicants had better judgment this time round when preparing ROL's.

The last year data was:

PGY-1 Neurology Positions

AREA - OFFERED / UNFILLED
Western - 23 / 0
Central - 77 / 0
Southern - 84 / 0
Northern - 44 / 0
TOTAL - 228 / 0

PGY-2 Neurology Positions

AREA - OFFERED / UNFILLED
Western - 60 / 6
Central - 59 / 2
Southern - 67 / 5
Northern - 171 / 9
TOTAL - 357 / 22

>>The total number of unfilled positions in Match 2010 was 22, so Neurology in fact may have become more competitive

Actually, no. Last year there were 0 unfilled PGY-1 spots, this year there were 3.

Also, last year there were 60 total spots in the west and 59 in the central region --- this year 53 and 48 --- so these 2 areas took out 18 spots. Last year, these 2 regions had a HUGE portion of the unfilled spots (8) but after taking out 18 spots, they had 1 this year.

So I suspect the few programs of which 8 spots were not filled went away in part. Those 18 not so desirable spots were taken away and as a result you had 7 of the 8 unfilled spots gone as a result.

Ignoring that, you have 14 unmatched last year and 16 this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, I have been told that the advanced and categorical are not unique, they overlap (eg if a PGY-1 at a program is not filled and the program is categorical, it shows up in both the PGY-1 and PGY-2 count).

That said, the same logic applies -- that 18 spots were taken out it seems, and those were the areas where a huge % of unmatched spots were. So I would say there were less lower tier spots this year, but I don't think it was any more competitive at the top tier per se. We will find out when we get the Step 1 averages and the other data that is on the way soon.

Mods on other forums have posted this all over the place so I thought to post here so nobody accidentally, in an attempt to help others, posts the list innocently only to find themselves in a bad situation

1) The NRMP has already notified SDN that if anyone on SDN posts or distributes illegal Scramble lists, then those posters will be guilty of copyright violation and the NRMP may pursue legal action against these individuals.

2) "The Scramble starts on Tuesday ... You will not have access to the list of unfilled programs if you did not register with the Match; refer to the NRMP website for its policies. The Match Agreement prohibits applicants from sharing NRMP’s List of Unfilled Programs with individuals who did not register with the Match."
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/#nrmp

Mods on other forums have posted this all over the place so I thought to post here so nobody accidentally, in an attempt to help others, posts the list innocently only to find themselves in a bad situation

1) The NRMP has already notified SDN that if anyone on SDN posts or distributes illegal Scramble lists, then those posters will be guilty of copyright violation and the NRMP may pursue legal action against these individuals.

2) "The Scramble starts on Tuesday ... You will not have access to the list of unfilled programs if you did not register with the Match; refer to the NRMP website for its policies. The Match Agreement prohibits applicants from sharing NRMP’s List of Unfilled Programs with individuals who did not register with the Match."
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/#nrmp

Looks like someone posted this on another forum:

http://www.usmleforum.com/files/forum/2011/4/574346.php

no neuro on there...

LAHottie --- and whoosh, just like that, taken down =) NRMP means business it seems on this subject.

Will we ever know which programs had spots open before the scramble or only post-scramble results?

I wonder if the rumor (is it even a rumor?) of so many spots open in a certain premier New York program is true then that is quite shocking.