"Neurology... you mean neurosurgery?"

Started by DocMom1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocMom1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I share with non-physicians that I am applying to neurology residency, I almost invariably get the response "you mean, like neurosurgery?"

How do you respond to the masses who seem to equate neurology with neurosurgery?
 
Last edited:
When I share with non-physicians that I am applying to neurology residency, I almost invariably get the response "you mean, like neurosurgery?"

How do you respond to the masses who seem to equate neurology with neurosurgery?

You should say "yes, exactly like that," especially if you're at a bar and there are women close by.
 
Sometimes I give the analogy of heart doctors and heart surgeons, both working to treat problems with the heart.

Other times I just say something along the lines of "neurologists don't normally do surgery on the brain, but treat other diseases like seizures, stroke, Parkinson's disease, etc."

Then if the conversation stays on the topic I'll explain more of the awesome stuff that neurologists can do. It never stays on that topic 🙂
 
Hmm. I didn't realize this was an issue for you guys. I often get called a neurologist, but have yet to correct anyone on it.

I suppose, as a non-surgeon, being called a surgeon may be a little scary; what if they ask about surgery?

Incidentally, we do rotations on neurology, neuro-ICU, neuro-rads, and neuro-path while, from what I gather, you guys do those, but not neurosurgery. So, there's more neurologist in each neurosurgeon than neurosurgeon in each neurologist, if you will.