Neuromuscular fellowship programs

Started by 0nsp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

0nsp

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm a senior level resident looking to go into neuromuscular neurology. I did a search, but there are no recent posts with any information. Which are considered "strong" or "excellent" programs?

The ones I'm looking at include Mayo, URochester, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, MGH, Columbia, WUSTL, Toronto, University of Western Ontario and Duke. How are these programs? Are any of them significantly better/worse than the rest? Are there any others I should be considering?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
You may want to look at a few others that are good - UCLA, UT Southwestern and Kansas
The ones you have listed are all good, although I'm not sure I would put Case and Cleveland Clinic in the same class as these others.
Lastly, Mayo Clinic Rochester is outstanding of course, however, you will find out that they do not have a neuromuscular fellowship per se. There is a peripheral nerve fellowship, a separate muscle fellowship and an EMG fellowship. You could get the most outstanding training but it could take you 3 years to cover everything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks so much for the input, maddog. When you say you wouldn't put Cleveland or case in the same category, would you rank them higher or lower than the others. Is there much difference in the quality of education at these other ones? Thanks so much!
 
lower - Case lost several NM faculty a few years ago. CC is heavily focused on epilepsy more than neuromuscular. In evaluating, take a look at the faculty. Do they have special expertise or reputation. You should also look for programs that have dedicated teaching conferences for neuromuscular, such as EMG review, neuromuscular biopsy conference etc.