neuropsych psychometrician profit-share?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

helleryeah

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All - I am about to start a small, part-time neuropsych / testing clinic. I will focus primarily on children and adolescents for learning disabilities and school accommodations, etc. There is someone I plan work with from the outset to help me administer the assessments and testing. They have experience in this area and they would also do much of the administrative work (e.g., communicate with patients and parents to do scheduling, etc.). I was thinking of doing profit sharing with them instead of paying them a salary.

Does anyone do this (or have they heard of people doing this)? What seems like a reasonable split of profits? Any thoughts or feedback about this plan would be welcomed.
Thanks.
 
Depending on how many hours per week you might consider the cheap labor of doctoral practicum students. I did a stint at a small but well established neuropsychologist clinic as a student psychometrist. They got free labor, i got practicum hours, experience, and good mentoring. Then they offered students a chance to stay on per diem $150 a day to continue and paid $75 if you showed up but the scheduled patient didn't. Obviously not a good income but good experience and in grad school that wasn't a bad deal.
 
Depending on how many hours per week you might consider the cheap labor of doctoral practicum students. I did a stint at a small but well established neuropsychologist clinic as a student psychometrist. They got free labor, i got practicum hours, experience, and good mentoring. Then they offered students a chance to stay on per diem $150 a day to continue and paid $75 if you showed up but the scheduled patient didn't. Obviously not a good income but good experience and in grad school that wasn't a bad deal.

For a small clinic, especially one provider, usually more trouble than it's worth. You have to put in a considerable amount of time training, and it's usually for a year or less. I'd much rather pay more for a long-term psychometrician who can also do the admin office work.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks to you both. Thoughts about the pros / cons of profit sharing versus salary for a more long-term psychometrician?

Edit: and if so, for profit sharing a fair % split?
 
I contract with a psychometrician and pay an hourly rate. 1-2x per year I'll pay a bonus (e.g. $250-$500) to demonstrate my appreciation for their efforts. I don't tie it to profits or anything like that because it'd get too messy. I would just pick an amount and designate it as a bonus.
I like this idea.