neuropsych/RxP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information/insight into the feasibility of completing an ABPP-CN post-doc while also working on the postdoctoral MSCP required for RxP licensure? Are there any formal neuropsych/RxP post-docs? Also, does anyone know what a prescribing neuropsychologist's day-to-day job description would look like?

RxP is an interest of mine, but I know that the issue is rather controversial. In school, the over-prescription of psychotropic medication is a recurrent theme in most of my classes. Does anyone have any recommendations about bringing my interest in RxP up with my mentor, supervisors, and professors? Is it something I should be cautious of, or am I being overly nervous?

Members don't see this ad.

I did them consecutively. Used my neuro experiences to network for my rxp practicum. Honestly, I can't see being able to do them concurrently. Neuro had too many requirements/ after hours dictating. The focus was also substantially different. Mscp coursework would have drastically interfere.

In practice, there are a few trained to do both. Only two actually still do neuro. Money is slightly different. The real catch is that rxp is easier to track your billables which raises your income.

Reactions: 1 user
I did them consecutively. Used my neuro experiences to network for my rxp practicum. Honestly, I can't see being able to do them concurrently. Neuro had too many requirements/ after hours dictating. The focus was also substantially different. Mscp coursework would have drastically interfere.

Agreed. I don't think concurrently is realistic and it would definitely negatively impact the learning of at least one, but probably both.

I also did them consecutively, and it was more manageable, but still very tough to juggle. The people who did the best (at least in my cohort) were a number of years out and had more flexibility in their 9-5 job.

In practice, there are a few trained to do both. Only two actually still do neuro. Money is slightly different. The real catch is that rxp is easier to track your billables which raises your income.
I have kicked around the idea of doing both if I ever leave the AMC setting, but I haven't found the right model/setup to make it a worthwhile pursuit.

The push for competent psychiatric prescribers is very strong, so I can see both economic and community/pt influences making it hard to do both. There is plenty of work out there for both, but to do either well (IMHO) you need to stay immersed, and I think that's a difficult balance. I spend my clinical time doing neuropsych and my research time doing pharma, which is professionally very interesting but economically a poor use of my knowledge and expertise.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know you guys have written at length about your experiential and educational histories in prior threads, but I would love to check out the actual cv's of the "old guard" on this forum. Though I'm sure most would prefer to maintain their anonymity. I'm not sure if others like to do this, but I tend to find it very instructive to see how people have developed their expertise and reputation over time (of course understanding this is merely a glimpse into that history).

I know a few folks who've done both, and like both PSYDR and T4C, they all did so consecutively. Looking at my own postdoc experience, I wouldn't have been able (or motivated) to take on an additional psychopharm degree. Knocking out the med school neuro courses strained things thinly enough, and that was with inclusion of some scheduling accommodations.

A rigorous fellowship, which is what you'd want, will easily eat up most spare time w/o adding additional responsibilities. I'd recommend against it because you don't want to cheat yourself out of other training experiences during fellowship (i.e. case presentations, neurology didactics, etc).

This is all great info, thanks!

Is there a list of universities that offer MSCP training?

Fdu, Alliant (if you consider that a university), and Hawaii. Nova's seems to be in hibernation. I believe the ppr is kinda defunct at this point.

Hawaii and fdu are apa approved. Dunno about Alliant.

I completed the NSU (residential) program before it went dormant. Last I heard they had a hard time getting students to commit to a residential program when there were multiple online options out there. I do not like nor learn well online, so I was fortunate to complete the program when I did.

The New Mexico State program is the best program (IMHO) currently out there. They have excellent preceptors (from what I've been told by pp, I trust) and an integrated training program to gain quality clinical experience.