Neuropsychiatry fellowship at Psych Dept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepretender67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into a neurology residency, but I also really like working with schizophrenics and bipolar I patients. If i completed a one or two year neuropsych fellowship at psychiatric hospital, would it be possible to learn how to manage patients with psychotic disorders and potentially run a unit as a physician with a residency in neurology?

My interests may change in the future, but I was just curious if anyone thinks this is actually possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Why didn't you go for psych instead? Just curious, being that I'm also one of those neuro-or-psych students.

For me, I didn't feel like there is a solid knowledge base in psychiatry. I like learning neuroanatomy and looking at neuroimaging. It makes me feel like I have mastered a discipline at the end of 4 years. For psychiatry, I love the psychotic patients. But I don't like the lack of diagnostic certainty and lack of any objective medical tests for the diseases.

At the end of the day, psychotic patients are probably my most favorite patient population that I have had the opportunity to work with during medical school. So maybe I may lament not being able to manage their conditions as a neurologist.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I find myself in a similar conundrum now as a third year with THE big decision of field on the horizon. I wonder if the coming decades will bring advances in the neuroanatomical understanding of mental illness. At the moment, it does sometimes seem to be a lot of guesswork. That said, my understanding is at the most basic level, if that.

I matched into a neurology residency, but I also really like working with schizophrenics and bipolar I patients. If i completed a one or two year neuropsych fellowship at psychiatric hospital, would it be possible to learn how to manage patients with psychotic disorders and potentially run a unit as a physician with a residency in neurology?

My interests may change in the future, but I was just curious if anyone thinks this is actually possible?

I doubt you can run a general psych unit as a neuropsychiatrist board-certified only in neurology (as opposed to neuropsychiatrists board-certified in both). But doing the fellowship will allow you the opportunity to learn more about psychotic disorders and specialize your practice in neuropsychiatry.

The neurological disorders that most commonly produce psychosis are epilepsy, TBI, and dementia correct? So basically, I would try to specialize in this area?

i m a psych resident specializing in neuropsychiatry so this is my perspective. behavioral neurology (its behavioral neurology if you're a neurologist and neuropsychiatry if you're a psychiatrist) fellowships pretty much exclusively focus on the dementias. the few in psychiatry departments have a little broader focus but this is to include the psychogenic or conversion disorders like fugue states, psychogenic movement disorders etc. but you wont get much if any expsorue to the primary psychotic or mood disorders. also they are 1 year fellowships than can be extended to 2 years for a year of research typically. some are 2 years but only 1 year is clinical. you can use your elective time to do more psychiatry rotations during residency.

there is actually a very expansive theoretical basis to psychiatry though most of it isn't taught during residency unfortunately. psychiatry draws upon social sciences, psychodynamic theory, cognitive, developmental and systems neuroscience, as well as evolutionary and molecular and cell biology. the basic functional neuroanatomy of emotion and cognition are fairly decently described (though this is an emerging field) and the neuroscience of consciousness is also something that is in development. though the theoretical basis of neurological problems is better established in general than psychiatric disorders, to my knowledge neurologists arent more effective at treating their disorders than are psychiatrists because despite all the advances in our understanding of neurobiology and genetics, neurologists still manage some fairly devasting degenerative diseases. as a psychiatrist i would argue there is a sound theoretical basis to how i conceptualize and manage patients and i routinely perform neurological examinations and look at neuroimaging on my patients. It is just i also have an appreciation of social, psychological, cultural, legal, and ethical dimensions of care in a way that is often more relevant than the biological.

the good news is that the stigma of psychiatric disorders means that the more affluent will see neurologists for their serious psychiatric disturbances including primary mania and psychosis/"schizophrenia" and most neurologists have no interest in working with these patients so you could certainly carve out a niche for yourself. just make sure you avail yourself of the opportunities to get further training and supervision in this and realize that the medical component is the least important in the management of patients with serious psychopathology.

Reactions: 1 users