neuropsychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would someone who is already applied into the psychiatry match, pursue either a Neuropsych residency? or getting boarded in Neuro, later on...OR

any other avenue of pursuing Neuro training...

the reason I ask is because...I am very interested in alternative treatment modalities. But besides that, i am further interested in finding/establishing credibility for various other modalities, and then providing a framework in which they can be practiced and prescribed in a standardized way...

Its very clear that psychiatry is becoming extremely bioligical and credibility is found in neuro imaging and other biolgical tests.

I dont want to practice any clinical neurology, but if it would open doors for this niche of research, then i would be willing to do it. I would of course, continue to be clinically involved in psychiatry.... Im just thinking of multi-avenue career:D :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

There is more info on the fellowship sticky about Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychiatry fellowships. Its accredited by the UCNS. It looks great. I don't know how feasible it is, however, to have a practice or work in a setting as a Neuropsychiatrist and deal w/ brain imaging, eeg's, etc. You could theoretically get the best of both worlds and see outpatients w/ psychiatric disorders as well as see individuals w/ neurological disorders and have a practice much like a neurologist. I don't know how much these individuals would make a yr but it def sounds interesting.

There are plenty of psychiatry researchers that are well versed in neuroimaging and similar modalities. I think that if you wound up at a strong research institution, or if you pursued a research fellowship focusing on those things in which you're interested, that would be enough.

Also as mentioned, there are fellowships available to psychiatrists through the ACNS in neuropsychiatry.