Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

neuropsychiatry

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by icebreakers, Mar 2, 2007.

1. icebreakers

icebreakers Member

How would someone who is already applied into the psychiatry match, pursue either a Neuropsych residency? or getting boarded in Neuro, later on...OR

any other avenue of pursuing Neuro training...

the reason I ask is because...I am very interested in alternative treatment modalities. But besides that, i am further interested in finding/establishing credibility for various other modalities, and then providing a framework in which they can be practiced and prescribed in a standardized way...

Its very clear that psychiatry is becoming extremely bioligical and credibility is found in neuro imaging and other biolgical tests.

I dont want to practice any clinical neurology, but if it would open doors for this niche of research, then i would be willing to do it. I would of course, continue to be clinically involved in psychiatry.... Im just thinking of multi-avenue career:D :D :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BrianUM

BrianUM Future M.D

Medical Student
    There is more info on the fellowship sticky about Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychiatry fellowships. Its accredited by the UCNS. It looks great. I don't know how feasible it is, however, to have a practice or work in a setting as a Neuropsychiatrist and deal w/ brain imaging, eeg's, etc. You could theoretically get the best of both worlds and see outpatients w/ psychiatric disorders as well as see individuals w/ neurological disorders and have a practice much like a neurologist. I don't know how much these individuals would make a yr but it def sounds interesting.

4. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    There are plenty of psychiatry researchers that are well versed in neuroimaging and similar modalities. I think that if you wound up at a strong research institution, or if you pursued a research fellowship focusing on those things in which you're interested, that would be enough.

Also as mentioned, there are fellowships available to psychiatrists through the ACNS in neuropsychiatry.