Neuropsychological Testing for ADHD Diagnosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2. The "attention deficit" part of ADHD is largely a misnomer. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder - that means you're born with it, and it generally doesn't go away. In fact, those with ADHD are at risk for some pretty horrible outcomes if it is not treated. For example, people with ADHD are like 2x as likely to by age forty and like no one really dies by age forty. Why? - mostly car accidents, risk taking, and other poor decisions.
Thanks for posting your overview -- I really liked reading how you walk through this diagnosis with patients and their families.

One question: Do you have any concern about diagnosis threat with the emphasized text above? E.g., setting patients up to anticipate bad outcomes? I know there's been a lot done with this in the concussion world, but I'm not sure what the literature is like in the ADHD world.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for posting your overview -- I really liked reading how you walk through this diagnosis with patients and their families.

One question: Do you have any concern about diagnosis threat with the emphasized text above? E.g., setting patients up to anticipate bad outcomes? I know there's been a lot done with this in the concussion world, but I'm not sure what the literature is like in the ADHD world.
I do worry about that! But, I often only emphasize this when a parent is likely to dismiss the diagnosis or not pursue medical treatment. I also emphasize the born with it part to get parents understanding that it does impact life course. It's not just "boys being boys."

Reactions: 1 users
Crappy diagnosis drives me nuts! It is like when I see patients with a problem list of PTSD, depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, insomnia. No, you do not need to diagnose every symptom of the first thing separately.
There are lumpers and splitters!

For anxiety, I tend to be a lumper!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Psychiatrist wants something to point to when the DEA people start questioning his prescribing of controlled substances. He also does not want complaints from veterans that he didn't take care of them properly by prescribing what they "know" they need. Shifting the blame for the diagnosis to the Psychologist works fairly well.

Reactions: 4 users
I want an accurate diagnosis. In complex cases when people aren't getting better I recommend neuropsych testing also. It's not just for ADHD.

I've probably mentioned it over the course of this thread, but my personal experience in most instances has been similar to what Heist mentioned above--the referrals from psychiatrists were usually more complex cases with multiple comorbid conditions and/or rule-outs. And even in those instances, the psychiatrists were usually quite fine with the types of evaluations I conducted, which most often involved an in-depth clinical (and sometimes accompanying structured) interview and self-report measures. Much less frequently would I go the full neuropsych route, usually when there were other factors on board like h/o TBI and/or long-standing severe polysubstance abuse with possible associated cognitive impairment.

Infrequently I'd get a referral where it seemed like the psychiatrist was wanting some additional weight behind a non-diagnosis (although even then, they'd also say to me, "maybe I'm missing something and they do have ADHD"). They also often wanted the eval to allow me and them to give additional recommendations.

I didn't often find many VA psychiatrists who had a problem telling patients "no" when it came to stimulants. I know they exist (just like psychologists or NPs who have trouble telling patients they don't have ADHD), but I didn't work with many in my system. Although with enough complaints to the patient advocate, the CMO might come through and put in the neuropsych referral anyway.

I've probably mentioned it over the course of this thread, but my personal experience in most instances has been similar to what Heist mentioned above--the referrals from psychiatrists were usually more complex cases with multiple comorbid conditions and/or rule-outs. And even in those instances, the psychiatrists were usually quite fine with the types of evaluations I conducted, which most often involved an in-depth clinical (and sometimes accompanying structured) interview and self-report measures. Much less frequently would I go the full neuropsych route, usually when there were other factors on board like h/o TBI and/or long-standing severe polysubstance abuse with possible associated cognitive impairment.

Infrequently I'd get a referral where it seemed like the psychiatrist was wanting some additional weight behind a non-diagnosis (although even then, they'd also say to me, "maybe I'm missing something and they do have ADHD"). They also often wanted the eval to allow me and them to give additional recommendations.

I didn't often find many VA psychiatrists who had a problem telling patients "no" when it came to stimulants. I know they exist (just like psychologists or NPs who have trouble telling patients they don't have ADHD), but I didn't work with many in my system. Although with enough complaints to the patient advocate, the CMO might come through and put in the neuropsych referral anyway.
The VA patients then go to private Psychiatrists for disability and other evals. It's not a matter of difficulty saying so, I want the correct diagnoses to assist the patient.

The Psychiatrist wants something to point to when the DEA people start questioning his prescribing of controlled substances. He also does not want complaints from veterans that he didn't take care of them properly by prescribing what they "know" they need. Shifting the blame for the diagnosis to the Psychologist works fairly well.
Untrue. There are many other things the DEA is looking for like the drug screens and pill counts. I haven't see physicians get in trouble for not having the testing.

Untrue. There are many other things the DEA is looking for like the drug screens and pill counts. I haven't see physicians get in trouble for not having the testing.
Inverting this doesn't change the point. The point is that the blame for the overprescribing is excused by the diagnosis that was made by the Psychologist, and then the blame is shifted to the Psychologist. It is not as if everyone is going to get exonerated when the DEA comes around - someone will be blamed.

The VA patients then go to private Psychiatrists for disability and other evals. It's not a matter of difficulty saying so, I want the correct diagnoses to assist the patient.
Yes, because VA patients have so much money to go to private Psychiatrists...

Inverting this doesn't change the point. The point is that the blame for the overprescribing is excused by the diagnosis that was made by the Psychologist, and then the blame is shifted to the Psychologist. It is not as if everyone is going to get exonerated when the DEA comes around - someone will be blamed.
When I have seen physicians get in trouble with the DEA it's because the patients are having insufficient tox screens or failed ones. Or the physician is over prescribing like 90 days worth of meds in 30 days. The psychologist report isn't going to save them in those cases.

Not all of them. But when they can't get what they want they doctor shop too. Ive had a few in my practice
Yes, of course, that is what they do when they can't get their Ritalin or whatever any other way. However, if they can get if from a VA Psychiatrist, they obviously will.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I have seen physicians get in trouble with the DEA it's because the patients are having insufficient tox screens or failed ones. Or the physician is over prescribing like 90 days worth of meds in 30 days. The psychologist report isn't going to save them in those cases.
Well yes, if someone messes up that badly and obviously, of course they will get in trouble. That is not the point at all.

Yes, of course, that is what they do when they can't get their Ritalin or whatever any other way. However, if they can get if from a VA Psychiatrist, they obviously will.
Their cases are complex to me. The come in for disability evals too. I refer those cases for neuropsych testing also.

Well yes, if someone messes up that badly and obviously, of course they will get in trouble. That is not the point at all.
It really is the point. The dea doesn't come sniffing unless something hinky is going on. And then the onus is on the physician to defend the prescription habit. So far, I haven't seen any cases where having psych testing helps in a dea case as that's not what's being looked at.

Reactions: 4 users
I get why a practitioner would want to shield from liability. It also can be a good way to practice to have more thorough assessment. In my experience the referrals for ADHD evals came more from primary care and was typically to rule out other diagnoses. As far as shifting blame when the DEA comes around…huh? Are you saying the DEA would go after the psychologist for diagnosing ADHD?

Reactions: 2 users
I get why a practitioner would want to shield from liability. It also can be a good way to practice to have more thorough assessment. In my experience the referrals for ADHD evals came more from primary care and was typically to rule out other diagnoses. As far as shifting blame when the DEA comes around…huh? Are you saying the DEA would go after the psychologist for diagnosing ADHD?
I am not sure the DEA would do that or even could - anything seems possible. I think it would be more harmful to the Psychologist with the hospital or clinic administrators, or perhaps just very unnerving with no real harm done. Hard to predict.

It really is the point. The dea doesn't come sniffing unless something hinky is going on. And then the onus is on the physician to defend the prescription habit. So far, I haven't seen any cases where having psych testing helps in a dea case as that's not what's being looked at.
"Hinky" covers a wide variety of things. You may not have seen any cases where psych testing helped, but maybe it does and you don't know, or maybe it has no effect at all. The truth is it's an unknown to you; I doubt that you've seen enough of this to have anything like a representative sample.

The concern I have is perhaps more subtle and more tied to ongoing treatment and treatment adjustment (e.g., dosing modifications, decisions to continue vs. discontinue the stimulant due to weighing adverse effects vs. benefits, etc.). Since attentional dysfunction lies on a continuum and since the use of stimulant medication to target this symptom is the goal of the treatment, then I think these decisions should emerge from the initial and continuing interactions between the prescribing provider and patient. By saying, essentially, 'well...we will send you to a psychologist who will then render a yes/no decision on whether you 'have' this 'disease' (after a one-time meeting with you) and then dichotomize our treatment plan into 'if you have it you get meds, if you don't then you don't get meds'--I think that this is a suboptimal approach. There also, as far as I can tell, no magic testing battery or results that reliably sort people into the 'have ADHD' vs. 'don't have ADHD' camps. So, from what I can tell in listening to people who know this literature and practice best...you're basically doing in depth interview, observation, and differential diagnosis which--I would argue--may be best done as a longitudinal enterprise over the course of knowing, interacting with, and treating the patient (and observing results). I mean, I get that prescribing providers wouldn't necessarily have 'the time' to do the in depth interviewing and would need to farm that out to non-prescribers---that's cool and makes sense. I just am not a big fan of the patient saying 'I have ADHD and need meds' being sent to a psychologist to essentially 'give permission' for them to receive the meds with the perception that they're going to employ some sort of specific assessment-related sorcery to 'make the diagnosis' after a single encounter. The other thing I'd say is that I've almost never seen (I can't remember seeing) the answer being 'no...this patient does not have ADHD'...if it happens, it rarely happens. Which has the practical upshot of rendering the entire process ceremonial and a complete waste of time and resources.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The concern I have is perhaps more subtle and more tied to ongoing treatment and treatment adjustment (e.g., dosing modifications, decisions to continue vs. discontinue the stimulant due to weighing adverse effects vs. benefits, etc.). Since attentional dysfunction lies on a continuum and since the use of stimulant medication to target this symptom is the goal of the treatment, then I think these decisions should emerge from the initial and continuing interactions between the prescribing provider and patient. By saying, essentially, 'well...we will send you to a psychologist who will then render a yes/no decision on whether you 'have' this 'disease' (after a one-time meeting with you) and then dichotomize our treatment plan into 'if you have it you get meds, if you don't then you don't get meds'--I think that this is a suboptimal approach. There also, as far as I can tell, no magic testing battery or results that reliably sort people into the 'have ADHD' vs. 'don't have ADHD' camps. So, from what I can tell in listening to people who know this literature and practice best...you're basically doing in depth interview, observation, and differential diagnosis which--I would argue--may be best done as a longitudinal enterprise over the course of knowing, interacting with, and treating the patient (and observing results). I mean, I get that prescribing providers wouldn't necessarily have 'the time' to do the in depth interviewing and would need to farm that out to non-prescribers---that's cool and makes sense. I just am not a big fan of the patient saying 'I have ADHD and need meds' being sent to a psychologist to essentially 'give permission' for them to receive the meds with the perception that they're going to employ some sort of specific assessment-related sorcery to 'make the diagnosis' after a single encounter. The other thing I'd say is that I've almost never seen (I can't remember seeing) the answer being 'no...this patient does not have ADHD'...if it happens, it rarely happens. Which has the practical upshot of rendering the entire process ceremonial and a complete waste of time and resources.
I have been getting referrals for ADHD evaluations recently from a local NP. Seems like an unnecessary hoop to me. I also see so many people diagnosed with ADHD and being prescribed stimulants for whom it is probably not an accurate diagnosis but they are committed to the idea and the medication is reinforcing so they are not going to want to change it. I recently have heard two separate stories of distracted driving being blamed on ADHD and both “needed” an increase in their vyvanse and both are showing signs of stimulant use that I recognize from my days working with a lot of meth users. My experience is that the person who really has ADHD (whatever that really is) and experiences a longer term benefit from stimulants is pretty rare. Because of this I tend to be very pessimistic when I have a patient who is on stimulants and I am optimistic about much more severe cases typically.

"Hinky" covers a wide variety of things. You may not have seen any cases where psych testing helped, but maybe it does and you don't know, or maybe it has no effect at all. The truth is it's an unknown to you; I doubt that you've seen enough of this to have anything like a representative sample.
I follow a great deal of disciplinary actions and am a referral source for my local Medical Board in these kinds of cases.

I don't think people should gets meds all the time. Lots of other interventions out there. And psych testing isn't magic. It's just another piece of the puzzle.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said “no, this patient doesn’t have ADHD” based on my eval and then they’re prescribed stimulants anyway. Waste of time. Why ask my opinion if you’re just gonna prescribe anyway?

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said “no, this patient doesn’t have ADHD” based on my eval and then they’re prescribed stimulants anyway. Waste of time. Why ask my opinion if you’re just gonna prescribe anyway?
I prescribe very few controlled subs

I follow a great deal of disciplinary actions and am a referral source for my local Medical Board in these kinds of cases.
I continue to contend that despite this I still doubt that you've seen enough of this to have anything like a representative sample.

They are trying to avoid complaints to the medical board or the entity they work for or both.

YES. And to what you said, in our clinic they don't even meet with psychiatry first. If someone places a psychiatry consult for ADHD meds, they automatically route the referral over to testing (unless they've had prior testing) or, at best, will schedule them for when after the testing will be done.

Psych testing shouldn't be done just as a hoop for people to jump through.

Last edited:
YES. And to what you said, in our clinic they don't even meet with psychiatry first. If someone places a psychiatry consult for ADHD meds, they automatically route the referral over to testing (unless they've had prior testing) or, at best, will schedule them for when after the testing will be done.

Psych testing shouldn't be done just as a hoop for people to jump through.
I think that might be exactly why it is done - a certain percentage of patients will forego the whole thing altogether and get their stimulants elsewhere.

I continue to contend that despite this I still doubt that you've seen enough of this to have anything like a representative sample.
Then please show me your proof where psychologists have been pointed to as the entity in the wrong during a dea investigation.

Then please show me your proof where psychologists have been pointed to as the entity in the wrong during a dea investigation.
I don't think that is anything that would be done publicly if at all - it is simply to redirect heat off the prescriber, not to necessarily direct it onto the Psychologist which I doubt DEA could actually do.

I don't think that is anything that would be done publicly if at all - it is simply to redirect heat off the prescriber, not to necessarily direct it onto the Psychologist which I doubt DEA could actually do.
Not sure why you are being so rigid about this. The physician is where the buck stops. @lobelsteve

Not sure why you are being so rigid about this. The physician is where the buck stops. @lobelsteve
If that were true Psychiatrists would not order Neuropsych testing for suspected ADHD

I prescribe very few controlled subs
It looks like your avatar might have been using them all. Is that from southpark and the world of Warcraft episode? That is one of my favorites. I almost dropped out of undergrad because of an online mmorpg. I didn’t leave the house other than to go to class for like three months and barely slept at all.

• Haha
It's to help the patient optimally. It's still a piece for treatment. Not a dea issue.
Testing and treatment are different.

It looks like your avatar might have been using them all. Is that from southpark and the world of Warcraft episode? That is one of my favorites. I almost dropped out of undergrad because of an online mmorpg. I didn’t leave the house other than to go to class for like three months and barely slept at all.
The part where Cartman's mom helps him with defecating so his play is uninterrupted is the best example of a parent so afraid of their kid and letting their kid have big emotions that i've ever seen.

How is ADHD testing helpful for treatment, though?
In my mind, ADHD testing, whatever that is, is less important than cognitive testing for kids who are struggling in school. That might be what heist is thinking about. Also, I think of ADHD as a disorder of exclusion. That is to say, attentional problems are characteristic of many if not most diagnoses and if the problem is better accounted for by that, then that is what is treated. Unfortunately, that’s not what I see typically and the real problems get worse while the person is “treated“ for “my ADHD” and then they get more diagnoses added and more medications. In my experience, that is sort of common practice.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all,

Does anyone have any specific articles or references supporting that neuropsych testing is not necessary for an ADHD diagnosis? If so, could you please link or share them with me?

Thanks!

Much of the literature I've read does not really support it in terms of adding any significant sensitivity nor specificity outside of a good clinical interview, self-report measures, other-report measures, and collateral data sources. This method is actually the preferred approach in accurately detecting and differentiating ADHD from other syndromes. Given it's significant overlap with other neurodevelopmental and psychiatric conditions, I also add other measures such as the MMPI so I can get a decent gauge of symptom validity. If you were trying to DDX or rule out other neurodevelopmental or Neurocognitive conditions, I could see the use of NP testing from a broader perspective, but that would likely be something I would determine after doing the clinical interview to determine if a more comprehensive battery and/or referral to NP is going to be needed, especially in cases where there is a history of an acquired brain injury.

Barkley is the most vocal/consistent critic I've seen. I don't have access to it, but this aptly-named article probably includes a variety of citations he'd use to support his position: Neuropsychological Testing is Not Useful in the Diagnosis of ADHD: Stop It (or Prove It)! | The ADHD Report

He may go into it there, but the trickier part isn't that neuropsych testing doesn't ever show any differences in folks with ADHD (it does), it's that those comparisons are often made vs. healthy controls (rather than clinical controls) and the results/differences can be relatively non-specific. And when applied to the individual, the diagnostic accuracy of neuropsych testing + in-depth interviews and some self-report/other-report measures vs. just the latter isn't well established.

However, probably the best support for arguing that neuropsych testing isn't necessary for ADHD diagnosis is the DSM-5 itself.

Reactions: 5 users
Barkley is the most vocal/consistent critic I've seen. I don't have access to it, but this aptly-named article probably includes a variety of citations he'd use to support his position: Neuropsychological Testing is Not Useful in the Diagnosis of ADHD: Stop It (or Prove It)! | The ADHD Report

He may go into it there, but the trickier part isn't that neuropsych testing doesn't ever show any differences in folks with ADHD (it does), it's that those comparisons are often made vs. healthy controls (rather than clinical controls) and the results/differences can be relatively non-specific. And when applied to the individual, the diagnostic accuracy of neuropsych testing + in-depth interviews and some self-report/other-report measures vs. just the latter isn't well established.

However, probably the best support for arguing that neuropsych testing isn't necessary for ADHD diagnosis is the DSM-5 itself.
The testing psychologist facebook group often has these discussions. Usually the question is "What's a good test for ADHD?" Beside naming things like CPT, DKEFS, etc., no one ever really discusses the importance of establishing a developmental history of hyperactive/impulsive behaviors. It is a neurodevelopmental disorder after all. Drives me bonkers, man.

Last edited:

Here's the unpaywalled version: Sci-Hub | Neuropsychological Testing is Not Useful in the Diagnosis of ADHD: Stop It (or Prove It)! The ADHD Report, 27(2), 1–8 | 10.1521/adhd.2019.27.2.1

• Love
He may go into it there, but the trickier part isn't that neuropsych testing doesn't ever show any differences in folks with ADHD (it does)...
Actually, Barkley points out that EF testing actually often DOESN'T show differences, with false negatives rates between ~35-80+ percent.

How is ADHD testing helpful for treatment, though?
ADHD testing cannot be helpful for treatment, in that there is no such thing as empirically validated ADHD testing. It's like asking how helpful unicorns are for riding to work. I know that @cara susanna knows this and was asking this in a challenging way, but, logically, don't you need to actually define "EFT/Neuropsych testing for ADHD" before you can evaluate whether or not it's effective? Can any of you on the "ADHD testing can't hurt" side of the argument please define the term "ADHD testing"?

As an aside- and I may have asked this before- pretty much all insurance testing pre-auth request forms I have to submit have a specific question on why, if ADHD is the diagnosis in question, I can't make that dx with just a standard clinical eval (e.g., history review, interviews, maybe some structured questionnaires). How would you answer this question if you wanted to do testing? What would you list where they ask for specific instruments that you would use?

Actually, Barkley points out that EF testing actually often DOESN'T show differences, with false negatives rates between ~35-80+ percent.
I'll admit it was an oversimplification (and EF is also a huge, somewhat amorphous cognitive domain). There are studies in which some cognitive tests show group-level differences between some individuals with ADHD and healthy controls. The trouble, like you've referenced, is that the differences are not always particularly large, are not always consistent across studies, and there are a not-insubstantial number of individuals diagnosed with ADHD who perform WNL on testing, resulting in...limited diagnostic utility.

Mind you, I've seen criticisms of Barkley that he under-represents neuropsych findings in ADHD. But all-in-all, there just isn't strong empirical support for the diagnostic utility of (the current state of) neuropsych testing in ADHD, at least in the ways ADHD is currently diagnostically defined.

IMO, the push to request neuropsych testing in ADHD in many instances is because providers just really want a relatively straightforward and objective way of diagnosing it. Particularly in adults with the potential for secondary gain, the limited access to early-life records and/or collateral informant, and the ease with which people can just tick off ADHD symptoms on a self-report scale.

Last edited:
I'll admit it was an oversimplification (and EF is also a huge, somewhat amorphous cognitive domain). There are studies in which some cognitive tests show group-level differences between some individuals with ADHD and healthy controls...
Barkely does reference these group differences findings, but (rightfully so, IMHO) points out that such findings are of little to no use at the individual diagnostic level.

Last edited:
There's a little irony here, right? Barkley was the dude who "cracked the ADHD code" by emphasizing the role of executive functioning in and coalescing a very compelling executive functioning based model/description of impairments in ADHD.

This undoubtedly led to massive push for testing of ADHD that is executive function based. His model may very well be a reason for the controversy around testing because we have a (A) well accepted model, (B) the lack of empirical support for neuropsych testing, and (C) that the relationship between A and B is disorienting for the psychologist who want a tidy narrative for the disorder and for patients that we thought we were getting.