Neuroradiology & Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKPK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS4 planning to do a neuroradiology rotation and was wondering if anyone had suggestions about a good book to use. Would the squires etc general books be the best way to go, or can anyone recommend a dedicated neurorads book?

At this point, I am planning to pursue rads, possibly with a neuro fellowship, but not 100% sure. Still trying to decide if I like neuro enough to go that route towards neurointerventional. After doing a diagnostic rads rotation (we rotated through each subspecialty area for 3-4 days), I cant get myself to apply to neuro now. I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but can anyone chime in? I keep reading posts saying that rads are shying away from neuro/interventional, leaving a path soon to be wide open for neurologists/neurosurg.

Members don't see this ad.

I use Neuroradiology: The Requisites a lot, but it's relatively long and might be a little beyond what you need right now.

Consider the Neuroradiology Companion by Castillo. It's not a text, but more like a ready reference that still has a lot of useful information that can be read more quickly.

Case review for neuroradiology is also good if you do not have the time or money for the requisites. Don't forget to just know your basic anatomy also.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I second Neuroradiology Companion by Castillo for any medical student.

Does the neuro companion book cover the anatomy portion well in depth, or would you suggest a separate book for that?

Does the neuro companion book cover the anatomy portion well in depth, or would you suggest a separate book for that?

I third Castillo
I never read Castillo, but glossed over it before the oral boards. Seems like the best 'high yield' reference. High yield info is definitely not the emphasis of the Neuro requisites.

It does not focus on neuroanatomy. That you need to get from other sources.

Thanks for your responses. I picked up the castillo book the other day, and it definitely seems a lot more manageable than the requisites series.

Does anyone have recommendations on a source for neuroanatomy in imaging? Thanks in advance for your help!

excellent neuroanatomy text:

Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases, by Blumenfeld