Learning neuroradiology as a medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spetzler-Martin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my neurology rotation and I noticed that one area I struggled with was following the team during morning rounds where neuroradiology cases were discussed. Seems like the residents are miles ahead in interpreting MRIs, CTs, etc. I did great on shelf content but I feel like I don't entirely understand neuroradiology since medical schools (or at least my school) don't even teach the basics of neuroradiology (let alone the basics of others forms of radiology). Are there any foundational resources I can use to learn neuroradiology? Is there a "Pathoma" of neuroradiology? I'm applying into neurosurgery, so I was hoping on spending some time in 4th year next year building up from the basics.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend learningneuroradiology.com and learnneuroradiology.com. Radiopaedia has good lectures as well on neuroimaging basics (for purchase if you are in the US, free if in a poor country) and free reference articles. If you prefer books, I would refer you to the three chapters in Core Radiology on neuroradiology (brain, head and neck, spine) -- this is at the resident level.

You should do the radiology clerkship/elective at your school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users