Neuroradiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted263296

I expressed my interest in radiology and perhaps subspecializing in neuroradiolology to an ENT surgeon, and he told me that most physicians in his field don't even rely on the neuroradiologist's reads and that he can perform IR procedures. Any validity to his point that neuroradiologists are essentially unecessary to ENT/neurosurgeons?

Members don't see this ad.

I expressed my interest in radiology and perhaps subspecializing in neuroradiolology to an ENT surgeon, and he told me that most physicians in his field don't even rely on the neuroradiologist's reads and that he can perform IR procedures. Any validity to his point that neuroradiologists are essentially unecessary to ENT/neurosurgeons?

That particular surgeon is either very good at interpreting images or he is deluding himself. Most specialty surgeons are good at reading studies from their field; most surgeons also realize that fellowship-trained radiologists are better. Surgeons also "read" their studies with a focused clinical question in mind. That is, an orthopod does a good physical examination and diagnoses posterolateral knee instability. He then looks at the MRI for the pertinent positives and negatives. The MSK radiologists reconstructs that the patient probably has posterolateral instability without clinical context, reports the pertinent positives and negatives, and then notices that there is also trochlear dysplasia. Your surgeon might have had a better argument if he had compared himself to a general radiologists, who spent the morning looking at neck CTs before spending the afternoon reading pelvic ultrasounds. Even then, someone has to be responsible for everything on the image(s), and believe me, the surgeon has enough going on without worrying about that.