Neuroscience for an IMG

Started by Mohd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mohd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a recent IMG and I'm seriously considering obtaining a masters in neuroscience before applying to a neurology residency in the states, which leaves me with many questions:
1. How useful is having a masters degree when applying for residency? (although this is not the main reason I want to do it, it would be reassuring to know)
2. Is staying away from clinical medicine for a year or two likely to negatively affect my application for residency?
3. Are there any programs that are more clinically-oriented than others?
4. Here is my current stats: GPA 2.87, 2 pubmed-indexed publications (1-2 coming up soon), US elective rotations with recommendation letters and some decent extracurricular activities. I passed the USMLE step 2 CS and I expect to get a 99 in my step 2 CK (according to the self-assessment test . . .), I will apply for GRE soon: what are my chances of getting into a good program with this GPA ??

Thank you