Neuroscience Major

mintgreen19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I would like to become a neurosurgeon, should I major in neuroscience in college? I'm really interested in how the brain works, and it's my top choice for a major.

Members don't see this ad.

Major in whatever you want; if you love neuroscience as a major, than go for it! Your undergraduate major is not gonna help you whatsoever in what residency you will likely to enroll after medical school.

just as Overload said, major in whatever you want to as an undergrad- med schools want to see a variety of majors in their program... major in what interests you and what you can do best in

Members don't see this ad :)
If I would like to become a neurosurgeon, should I major in neuroscience in college? I'm really interested in how the brain works, and it's my top choice for a major.

I agree, major in whatever interests you. Your college major will have no effect on what specialty you choose. When you apply for residencies towards the end of med school, only the stuff you did during med school goes on your resume, they dont care about college stuff.
I personally think neuroscience would be a facinating major, my school didnt have it, but they did offer a neurobiology course, which was super hard but very intersting.
You will also get to meet some neat professors and it might be easier for you to get into helping them with research then if you were a biology/zoology major.

I will major in women studies so I can get a girlfriend soon.