KEC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Medical Student
What neuroscience books are best? How about Haines' Neuroanatomy Atlas? How about Purves' Neuroscience? BRS vs. High Yield?

C

CaptainZero

KEC said:
What neuroscience books are best? How about Haines' Neuroanatomy Atlas? How about Purves' Neuroscience? BRS vs. High Yield?
Blumenfeld is good - very clinically oriented

skicu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
Status
I like Haines atlas better than Purves and High Yield seems sufficient for review. It is very clear and concise. The only downfall is there are no questions at the end of the chapters like in BRS so if you are looking for questions, you might prefer BRS.

melmc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2003
Out west
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
skicu said:
I like Haines atlas better than Purves and High Yield seems sufficient for review. It is very clear and concise. The only downfall is there are no questions at the end of the chapters like in BRS so if you are looking for questions, you might prefer BRS.
Although I havn't used it yet, Haines has a companion review book (cover looks a lot like the atlas cover) that has 800+ review questions. The review book parallels/crossreferences the textbook as well. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0443066256/qid=1110983278/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-6059098-0374466

shocker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
Status
Try Nolte's "The Human Brain" and the Netter atlas isn't bad.

gattaca

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
for a neuroanatomy atlas go with haines. for a good book, go with either kandel or purves.

medman12677

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2002
living in an unholy land
Visit site
Status
Textbook: Principles of Neural Science 4th ed. Eric Kandel--By far the best (the Robbins of Neuro) :)
Atlas: Haines and Nolte, Netter---ehhhh, its's okay
Review: Hi Yield--hands down

fang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
KEC said:
I didn't like Purves much... the organization wasn't the best and the content was sometimes too detailed or too basic compared to our lectures.

TrojanDoctor

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
At KU, they recommend Clinical Neuroanatomy by Waxman. We just started neuro and I haven't read it much, but it seems to be useful. not too big and it has questions and cases. Also, anyone used the Pretest Neuroscience? any opinions?

thanks

thackl

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
Status
TrojanDoctor said:
anyone used the Pretest Neuroscience? any opinions?

thanks
I've poked around in it. Not quite comprehensive enough for my course, but we are one of the last schools with a full semester of neuro, so it gets pretty in depth. I plan to use it for the shelf though.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
medman12677 said:
Textbook: Principles of Neural Science 4th ed. Eric Kandel
This is the neuroscience bible. While it's not nearly as clinical as others, it's an invaluable resource--especially since it is somehow able to be both thorough and easy-to-understand at the same time.