Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can i get a recomendation for Neuro. I suck at Neuro. got through it in second semester, just passed it with like a 74 average, did bad on the shelf 430. Was know first aid is not enough for step especially if you dont understand it like me. People recomend HY Neuro but ive heard you need a good grasp on Neuro to use that. Maybe Road map, RR, BRS is way to long. Any suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro was taught horribly at my institution, so I took it upon my self to learn it all... I used this textbook for Neuroanatomy, I highly recommend it, it doesn't bore you or goes into any unnecessary stuff, just what is high yield PERIOD! Once you've learn it, follow it with HY Neuro.. great book... do your best to learn to ID everything on cross-sections & slices, etc.... If it helps, I got an asterick on Neuro on my exam.

Best of luck

You know, I'd try HY and see if it works for you. In the end, neuro is primarily about memorization, and HY has all the info you need to memorize. Also, neuro is not a topic that is traditionally emphasized on Step 1, so it's not something you need to put that much time into.

You know, I'd try HY and see if it works for you. In the end, neuro is primarily about memorization, and HY has all the info you need to memorize. Also, neuro is not a topic that is traditionally emphasized on Step 1, so it's not something you need to put that much time into.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the part in bold is a very dangerous piece of advice.

:thumbdown:

really only 5 or so questions. I have talked to a few people who said they had 15 or so neuro questions. Its so weird to hear such different distributions on their exams.

really only 5 or so questions. I have talked to a few people who said they had 15 or so neuro questions. Its so weird to hear such different distributions on their exams.

I don't know. Maybe I did have 15, but that's not very many either considering how many questions you have on the whole test. And if you understand the most basic fundamentals, you should be able to get a good chunk of those 15 correct without knowing lots of tedious neuro details.

I'm not saying you should blow neuro off, but I don't think it's reasonable to devote a large period of your time to neuro at the expense of other more high yield subjects. And I still think HY is a good book, so I'd still suggest giving it a try.

OK, I'm going to be a bit obnoxious here and suggest that you actually take step 1 before knocking the advice of other people who have taken it and done well.

Hmm you are entitled to your opinions but i flat out disagree with your comment about neuro being a topic that is not traditionally emphasized, i made my point.

Care to elaborate as to what you have against HY neuro?

HY neuro is fine, i should have bolded doctor bagel's comment in regards to neuro being less imp..here's my take if you blow something off like neuro, biostats you will severly compromise your chances from reaching a stellar score. Also i must add, going through high yield was easier for me since i already went through all of roadmap neuroscience but personally high yield might be an annoying read for first time readers. So if i had to suggest i would say roadmap for first time readers but if you are set on a more condensed version high yield might do, you won't go wrong with either.

Hmm you are entitled to your opinions but i flat out disagree with your comment about neuro being a topic that is not traditionally emphasized, i made my point.

You can believe what you want. I've taken the test and can tell you what my experience was. I've also read tons of accounts from other people who have taken the test and talked to my peers. The general consensus is that there weren't that many neuro questions. Same with anatomy.

And it's just plain rude to entirely disregard the advice of people who do have more experience than you. Just an fyi for life.

You can believe what you want. I've taken the test and can tell you what my experience was. I've also read tons of accounts from other people who have taken the test and talked to my peers. The general consensus is that there weren't that many neuro questions. Same with anatomy.

And it's just plain rude to entirely disregard the advice of people who do have more experience than you. Just an fyi for life.

wow, well i will be the bigger man and let it be. I expressed my opinion and i stand by it, if you like to bring all your buddies on sdn and ask them to second your views its ok with me. Just don't simply get offended when your opinion is disregarded or not agreed with, i was just trying to help give my opinion that's all. Next time you disagree with someone just say so..your approach is rather rude, good luck!