Neurosurgery Private Practice Procedures and Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Numba1Plumma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this question by mentioning that I am a M2 thinking about pursuing various surgical specialties. I do not desire to eventually practice in an academic setting, i.e. I want to work in either a pp group or with a hospital. From my understanding, neurosurgery in these settings incorporates a lot of spine work which doesn't really bother me.

My question is outside of spine work, do fellowship-trained neurosurgeons really get to apply their skills as readily if you operate outside an academic setting in a decently-sized city (not Chicago, LA; more like St. Louis). For instance, if you do a fellowship in neurooncology, do you really remove brain tumors or is it more of a consult, and then the person gets sent to a hotshot at a major academic center? Besides doing a spine fellowship, what other fellowships in ns exist where you would be able incorporate a lot of the fellowship-learned skills in your practice? I don't see myself being interested in pediatrics, but this question has been looming in my head recently.

I don't mean to be demeaning to anyone when asking this question; for all I know, neuroncology-trained surgeon removes tumors all the time. I just don't really know and was wondering if someone could inform me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.