Neurosurgery residency as Plastic prerequisite training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcray46

Reaction score
First time posting in Sdn, I'm trying to spread the net as wide as possible with this question. I'm a PGY-5 neurosurgery resident, and I'm considering completing further training in plastic surgery. After consulting the ABPS training guidelines, I've found that a neurosurgery residency does satisfy the prerequisites for an Independent Track residency, however I doubt it would all be thst simple.

After speaking to some colleagues, the prevailing opinion was that, while technically possible, a plastics residency would be unlikely to accept a neurosurgeon onto the program. This was supported by an inability to find a single plastic, or reconstructive, surgeon who had first completed a neurosurgery residency before a plastics one.

So my questions: has anyone come across someone who went from neuro residency to plastics; would a program look at my application unfavourably, and does anyone have any ideas generslly about a neuro -> plastics pathway?

Members don't see this ad.

As some extra info if anyone interested why I'm considering plastics. Firstly, there is the plain interest, the complex reconstructions you guys perform is incredible, I've been involved in some after neuro-oncology surgeries that were particulalrly invasive and it's a field I'd love to be more involved in. Secondly there's full filling an adolescent dream. One of the reasons I first got interested in medicine was wanting to help with those injured in war zones, not as an army doctor or anything like that, but as a humanitarian (MSF). Now that aspect took a back seat as I progressed with education and research, but I feel now those same feelings a decade and a half ago and trauma surgery and reconstructions are the skills required most for in the field humanitarian surgery, not neuro.

First time posting in Sdn, I'm trying to spread the net as wide as possible with this question. I'm a PGY-5 neurosurgery resident, and I'm considering completing further training in plastic surgery. After consulting the ABPS training guidelines, I've found that a neurosurgery residency does satisfy the prerequisites for an Independent Track residency, however I doubt it would all be thst simple.

After speaking to some colleagues, the prevailing opinion was that, while technically possible, a plastics residency would be unlikely to accept a neurosurgeon onto the program. This was supported by an inability to find a single plastic, or reconstructive, surgeon who had first completed a neurosurgery residency before a plastics one.

So my questions: has anyone come across someone who went from neuro residency to plastics; would a program look at my application unfavourably, and does anyone have any ideas generslly about a neuro -> plastics pathway?
John Persing, chairman at Yale. I believe he completed NSGY residency prior to PRS and then craniofacial fellowship

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This seems up your alley:

Neuroplastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship | Johns Hopkins Department of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

Neuroplastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
The Department of Neurosurgery, the one-year Neuroplastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship seeks to train future academic leaders in adult craniomaxillofacial and neuro-cranial reconstruction. We are proud to report that this fellowship is the nation’s first-ever surgical fellowship concentrating on combined training related to neuroplastic and reconstructive surgery. As such, the fellowship opportunity is available to all physicians who have completed an ACGME-approved residency in either plastic surgery, neurosurgery or otolaryngology, with one available position open per year.

The fellowship’s clinical focus will be centered on treating adult patients suffering from injury, deformity, tumors and/or trauma to their face or skull region, through the Multidisciplinary Adult Cranioplasty Center (MACC). Fellows will obtain instructor appointments through the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and will work alongside experts in various fields including neurosurgery, plastic surgery, hematology, infectious disease, medical neuro-oncology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, radiation neuro-oncology, and head and neck surgery. The program also includes a translational research focus on computer-assisted surgery and robot-assisted surgery developments, in collaboration with the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (site director – Mehran Armand, PhD) and the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (site director – Peter Liacouras, Ph.D.). Successful completion will result in a fellowship graduation certificate signed by both the Department of Neurosurgery and Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

To learn more about the program focus, read the program application or visit The Multidisciplinary Adult Cranioplasty Center (MACC).

Assuming your program likes you and you have done a good job in residency, you will have no problem matching in an Independent Plastic Surgery Program. Like was said above, the Chairman of Plastic Surgery at Yale went this route and you would be a great addition to the Plastic Surgery specialty. You would have a unique set of skills that can apply to Craniofacial surgery including Craniosynostosis and complex facial and head trauma.

Reactions: 1 user