Neurotic ERAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently some people say to look up program requirements for LORs and ONLY send the number of letters they state. For example, a program might state, "Chair Letter and 2 other LORs are required."

Others say this is just a minimum and they sent all four that they had.

Anyone know if it's a huge deal if you just send all of them?

Normally I would just send what's stated, but I have no idea which of my letters are stronger than the others and picking 2 out of 3 makes it feel like a guessing game with incredibly high stakes lol.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, idk how you can really know how "strong" a letter is without reading it...that' just me, idk but just send all 4. unless they say "only 3" or say 2 ___ and 1____, then just send them. Most take 3, lots take 4, and some may only read 3/4. Don't stress too much about it. if you're that worried, assign three to school you really are interested in and leave it at that, but I think we're getting a bit neurotic now.

TL;DR just send them all unless they say ONLY 3.

Reactions: 1 users
People are seriously freaking out about the 3 vs 4 thing way too much. Just send all four. If a PD really dumps your application because you have four letters, is that a place you even want to be?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look up the 3 places you're really interested in and fulfill their requirements (3 vs 4). For the rest just send four and let the dice fall as they will.

Reactions: 1 user
idk how you can really know how "strong" a letter is without reading it...
The MSPE comments can give you a pretty good idea and letter writers will usually drop hints (consciously or not) in conversation. I'd say I could rank the strength of the language in my letters with pretty high confidence without having read any of them.